The Student Room Group

Should I tell my boyfriend that I (text) flirted with someone else?

so I’ve been with my boyfriend for 5 years and I do love him very much, but sometimes I feel as if i’m missing out on the excitement of being single since i’ve been with him since i was 15. Yesterday I downloaded an app where you can make friends and swipe on ppl because I was bored, but then I started getting a bit of attention of a few guys. As i’m not used to getting attention of anyone else, I got a bit carried away and flirted back with one guy, the most flirtatious things i said were “wow your tall” “thankyouu” and he was like “wish i was with you” and i said “samee.” The guy is from a different country and I know i’d never see him but I think I was craving attention and I regretted it afterwards, unfriended him and deleted the account. I realise this was really selfish of me and I might seem “not ready for a relationship” but i’ve never done something like this before and I feel regret and guilt so I don’t know if I should keep it to myself and try and get over it or tell my boyfriend. I really don’t want to hurt him pointlessly, but I’m also not sure if this is something I need to tell him.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
so I’ve been with my boyfriend for 5 years and I do love him very much, but sometimes I feel as if i’m missing out on the excitement of being single since i’ve been with him since i was 15. Yesterday I downloaded an app where you can make friends and swipe on ppl because I was bored, but then I started getting a bit of attention of a few guys. As i’m not used to getting attention of anyone else, I got a bit carried away and flirted back with one guy, the most flirtatious things i said were “wow your tall” “thankyouu” and he was like “wish i was with you” and i said “samee.” The guy is from a different country and I know i’d never see him but I think I was craving attention and I regretted it afterwards, unfriended him and deleted the account. I realise this was really selfish of me and I might seem “not ready for a relationship” but i’ve never done something like this before and I feel regret and guilt so I don’t know if I should keep it to myself and try and get over it or tell my boyfriend. I really don’t want to hurt him pointlessly, but I’m also not sure if this is something I need to tell him.

There are two things you can do. One is to tell him what you did and apologize to him for whatever you did. If he's sensible enough and loves you dearly, he'll definitely try to comprehend it. Another thing is just to forget everything you did, don't share it with anyone and never do such a thing in life. It's not morally right.
Reply 2

Why tell him its not like you've had sex behind his back
Reply 3
Original post by Meheraj
There are two things you can do. One is to tell him what you did and apologize to him for whatever you did. If he's sensible enough and loves you dearly, he'll definitely try to comprehend it. Another thing is just to forget everything you did, don't share it with anyone and never do such a thing in life. It's not morally right.

Okay thanks for the advice, i think i will think on it because i’m not sure if i should tell him yet or not. I’ve learned my lesson and wouldn’t do it again either way but I just hate to keep secrets
Reply 4
Original post by Meme girl

yeh true but it’s still disrespectful and I hate to keep secrets but I just don’t know what the best thing to do is, since I don’t wanna hurt him.
Reply 5
Original post by Meme girl

Sorry for the interference first.

Frankly speaking, I don't see any issue with that if she wants to share. I think it would show how accountable she's to her boyfriend and how important for him to know. Also, clarity.

If it were me and I was truly vested in a relationship, I would definitely do that.
Reply 6
Okay thanks for the advice, i think i will think on it because i’m not sure if i should tell him yet or not. I’ve learned my lesson and wouldn’t do it again either way but I just hate to keep secrets

No worries! ☺️Yeah, you better think. I just thought and said what I would do if I was in your position.
It’s 2023, I’m sure he’s comfortable with it.
Reply 8
Really think about what it is that you want, why are you with your boyfriend and what brings you guys together. What do you want your future to look like with him? If you don't think he sees any potential with you (i.e. having a family) etc. it may be best to reconsider your relationship, as at the age of 20 you don't really want to go about wasting your time if you want children. I know you guys have been together for a long time so naturally you may feel that you are missing out. Truly, I don't think you are and to be perfectly honest, if you were to seek flings and hookups you will get led down a rabbit hole of an unfulfilled life, and will probably end up depressed that you never took the opportunity to really consider things and figure things out with your self. If you see yourselves being together, stay with him. If not, break up with him and look for someone who you can see being with for the long-term.
Reply 9
Original post by Little pecker
It’s 2023, I’m sure he’s comfortable with it.

what do you mean?
Reply 10
Original post by Illyrius
Really think about what it is that you want, why are you with your boyfriend and what brings you guys together. What do you want your future to look like with him? If you don't think he sees any potential with you (i.e. having a family) etc. it may be best to reconsider your relationship, as at the age of 20 you don't really want to go about wasting your time if you want children. I know you guys have been together for a long time so naturally you may feel that you are missing out. Truly, I don't think you are and to be perfectly honest, if you were to seek flings and hookups you will get led down a rabbit hole of an unfulfilled life, and will probably end up depressed that you never took the opportunity to really consider things and figure things out with your self. If you see yourselves being together, stay with him. If not, break up with him and look for someone who you can see being with for the long-term.

hey thanks for the reply.
we have talked about having a future together lots and i honestly do see one with him, it was just a lapse of judgement because im not used to the attention tbh but i know its not an excuse, Id be upset if he did it too so i’m not sure if i should tell him. I do sometimes think “what if” I was single as i’ve never really experienced it but then I realise i’m much happier with my bf and shouldn’t ruin it.
Reply 11
It’s a symptom that you’re ready to move on. I wouldn’t tell him about the text, rather end it in as civilised way as you can. It would be good if you can bank something positive from as long a relationship as this
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Zarek
It’s a symptom that you’re ready to move on. I would tell him about the text, rather end it in as civilised way as you can. It would be good if you can bank something positive from as long a relationship as this

I don’t want to move on tho :frown: i’m happy i just made a mistake tbh
Reply 13
I don’t want to move on tho :frown: i’m happy i just made a mistake tbh

Don’t tell him then. It will cause disproportionate upset to what actually happened

If he was the one who did it, i am sure you would want him to tell you.
then you would be calling all men trash and cheaters.
so be a decent human being and tell your boyfriend what you did

Personally, I won't tell him, but don't do it again cz he could catch you or smth, and if u feel u need something more from the relationship, just try to talk to him about it, if he loves you too then he'll understand

How old is your boyfriend?
Do you live with each other?
Do you have any children?
What does your boyfriend do for a living / will do for a living?
Are you at uni now?
How physically attractive would you rate yourself?
How good are your social skills compared to your friends?

Was the guy from another country in the armed forces or working on an oil rig or in some international business type job?

How do you think your boyfriend would react if you told him?
Does your boyfriend support you when you want to go out with your friends without him?
How often does your boyfriend go on nice dates with you?
I would tell him. Build trust and honesty and support in the relationship, keeping secrets isn't good for that
Reply 18
Original post by Ackhnologia
If he was the one who did it, i am sure you would want him to tell you.
then you would be calling all men trash and cheaters.
so be a decent human being and tell your boyfriend what you did

hey yeh i’m gonna tell him about it when i next see him in person ive decided
Reply 19
Original post by Ozymandias007
Personally, I won't tell him, but don't do it again cz he could catch you or smth, and if u feel u need something more from the relationship, just try to talk to him about it, if he loves you too then he'll understand

Hey, yeh I’ve had a think and I think I’m going to tell him because knowing i’ve kept a secret about something i wouldn’t like him to do I think is worse than just coming clean and letting him decide where we go from there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending