The Student Room Group

Dog fear aggression.

I have a 16 month old male springer spaniel. Since he was allowed out he has been always very fearful of traffic. We have tried alot of different things to help him conquer his fear however he is still scared and can become aggressive when getting his lead and harness on. We have tried training regular. All attempts have failed so far. He will only allow us to take him in the car to the countryside with no cars around. He had no negative experience when he was a puppy. He is just very fearful. I can’t get him out the front door for a walk around the estate as he freezes. I don’t know what to do! I’ve tried so hard. Has anybody else been in this situation ?
Original post by amberscally2298
I have a 16 month old male springer spaniel. Since he was allowed out he has been always very fearful of traffic. We have tried alot of different things to help him conquer his fear however he is still scared and can become aggressive when getting his lead and harness on. We have tried training regular. All attempts have failed so far. He will only allow us to take him in the car to the countryside with no cars around. He had no negative experience when he was a puppy. He is just very fearful. I can’t get him out the front door for a walk around the estate as he freezes. I don’t know what to do! I’ve tried so hard. Has anybody else been in this situation ?

One thing that is important is to show your dog that traffic isn't a world ending evil out to get him, like a vacuum. Take him to a pavement and stand/sit there for some time while vehicles go past. Overtime, he will realise that his fear is mostly irrational and he should act calmer. This process doesn't work immediately and it may take multiple tries, make sure you are there with him so he knows you can protect him. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending