The Student Room Group

Why is it hard to overcome a bond with a cat especially if pet and owner connected

Okay this isn’t something to which you think it’s funny or to laugh about but my family adopted a cat although we no longer have the cat no more, because of the challenges of being able to look after it, and spending valuable time with as cats like affection and playtime so we gave it back to its previous owner although me and the cat instantly bonded and connected ever since giving it back I have been crying and when I mean crying like crying real hard especially since my cat was not only a kitten but he and I bonded so well I don’t even understand why but yeah even in that short space of time we instantly clicked as best friends and it hurts to cry and to think about my pet kitten like why is it that I’m crying for and why does it hurt does anyone have any past experience and to overcome it not necessarily forgetting about it because this kitten will always be in my heart and I will never forget him but you know… ._.
Reply 1
I understand you will be heartbroken as you had a real connect with the cat. Your kitten will be heartbroken too as you were its 'surrogate Mum' and loved you and depended on you - whilst you will both survive the pain will remain.

Your only solution is to stay in touch with the previous keeper and if ever you have your own place or your circumstances change in a few years offer to take the cat back (but never give it up again as it is unfair on the cat) Or one day give a home to a rescue cat for karma.
Was giving him back a unanimous choice? :/

It does suck, partly as you know you can't explain the situation to the the cat, esp with kittens as they bond with you so quick and energetically. The last two young cats I've said goodbye to i've been a mess for a few days at least, more so than I prob would with a person tbh, just something about the defencelessness and relative innocence.
Original post by Muttly
I understand you will be heartbroken as you had a real connect with the cat. Your kitten will be heartbroken too as you were its 'surrogate Mum' and loved you and depended on you - whilst you will both survive the pain will remain.

Your only solution is to stay in touch with the previous keeper and if ever you have your own place or your circumstances change in a few years offer to take the cat back (but never give it up again as it is unfair on the cat) Or one day give a home to a rescue cat for karma.

Yeah I really did I cried a lot yesterday :/ I tried to hold back the tears but it was too hard to handle, I never gave it up I was in for looking after the kitten I knew that it was going to be a huge challenge but I was like to my sibling that I’m prepared to fund and raise the necessary food and drink resources as well as the vet insurance the vaccinations it may need in order to permanently stay although yesterday morning before going to work it gave meows either indicating if it wanted to have some attention or affection by playing or it was hungry although food was in its bowl I would think anyways the moment I came downstairs it came out of nowhere towards my foot and then followed me to my sofa onto my lap not knowing I didn’t even give it a chance to say goodbye and it started to play with me presuming that biting my arm is a form of playing. I feel so gutted, guilty and I know that what was done was wrong but he didn’t deserve that now coming home I would have thought he’d be his playful self but it’s all empty and quiet it just needed a couple of days to settle to its surroundings a few weeks to get used to my routine and a couple of months to know it’s his home I feel terrible :frown:
Original post by StriderHort
Was giving him back a unanimous choice? :/

It does suck, partly as you know you can't explain the situation to the the cat, esp with kittens as they bond with you so quick and energetically. The last two young cats I've said goodbye to i've been a mess for a few days at least, more so than I prob would with a person tbh, just something about the defencelessness and relative innocence.

Hey Strider, no it wasn’t me and my sister were against the idea especially knowing the fact that it was her birthday gift since her birthday past over the weekend on Saturday. I just miss him a lot man ;/

Quick Reply

Latest