The Student Room Group

OCR A Level E. Lit - I got an A* in coursework, what marks in my papers for an A?

I couldn't really fit what I'm trying to say in the title. I got an A* in my coursework, a 36/40. What I wanted to ask is, what marks would I need in my Paper 1 and 2 to obtain an A overall? Judging by 2019 standards. Like, the minimal marks. I have no hope for an A* and possibly not an A, but I would like to know what my chances are. I don't really know how to calculate it myself, because on the OCR grade boundaries the total mark is 200 for everything, even though Papers 1 and 2 are 60 marks each and the coursework 40.
Reply 1
I do AQA, but I think you can work out your grade boundaries by working out percentages. For me, the reformed linear grade boundaries say 265/375 is an A (2019) which is 70%. Then use the percentage on your actual total marks (mine is 200) and see how many marks you need. Then take away your NEA marks to figure out what you need to get in your papers.

Not entirely sure if this is correct since I just assumed that's how it works. Hope this helps though
Reply 2
Original post by 9e839q2
I couldn't really fit what I'm trying to say in the title. I got an A* in my coursework, a 36/40. What I wanted to ask is, what marks would I need in my Paper 1 and 2 to obtain an A overall? Judging by 2019 standards. Like, the minimal marks. I have no hope for an A* and possibly not an A, but I would like to know what my chances are. I don't really know how to calculate it myself, because on the OCR grade boundaries the total mark is 200 for everything, even though Papers 1 and 2 are 60 marks each and the coursework 40.

So technically the full marks for coursework + two papers are 160, they just calculate it with weigh out of 200 to make things easier I suppose. But using the full marks of 160, suppose an A would be around 80% so that's 128 out of 160. Take 36 away from 128 is 92 out of 160. So you need a total of 92 from your two papers, which average out as around 46 out of 60 per paper. That's around 77% for each papers. But I've also checked the 2022 grade boundaries and it seems that or an A it's around 85%, which really stressed me out. That means according to the 2022 standard, you would need around 50 out of 60 for both papers to get an A.

Quick Reply

Latest