The Student Room Group

AQA English lit A grade boundaries help (I dont understand)

Hi guys, I know this is rather late but I just can't stop trying to work out what these grade boundaries mean. I sat the new linear A-level English lit and I got a B overall which I felt really rubbish about as I was aiming for an A. However, when I went to my exams officer to see how far off I was, I was completely confused. See, the total for each paper was 75 and there were only two. I also had coursework which was marked out of 25. However the total mark written on the grade boundaries is 375 when the raw marks should be 175? I just cant seem to work out what each paper is worth and can anyone shed some light into how this works (my exams officer didnt know herself and my english teacher hasnt replied to my email sent a couple days ago).

If it helps I got 80 for paper 1, 110 for paper 2 and 40/40/60 for coursework, but only the 60 was added to the total mark (I know that my english teacher said my coursework was A/A* when she was marking it, so it was either marked at 22/25-which was the mark I got for my first draft- or 23/25). Therefore, in total my mark is 250, which is pretty much a kind of solid B (239). 280 is an A.
Original post by H_Ax123
Hi guys, I know this is rather late but I just can't stop trying to work out what these grade boundaries mean. I sat the new linear A-level English lit and I got a B overall which I felt really rubbish about as I was aiming for an A. However, when I went to my exams officer to see how far off I was, I was completely confused. See, the total for each paper was 75 and there were only two. I also had coursework which was marked out of 25. However the total mark written on the grade boundaries is 375 when the raw marks should be 175? I just cant seem to work out what each paper is worth and can anyone shed some light into how this works (my exams officer didnt know herself and my english teacher hasnt replied to my email sent a couple days ago).

If it helps I got 80 for paper 1, 110 for paper 2 and 40/40/60 for coursework, but only the 60 was added to the total mark (I know that my english teacher said my coursework was A/A* when she was marking it, so it was either marked at 22/25-which was the mark I got for my first draft- or 23/25). Therefore, in total my mark is 250, which is pretty much a kind of solid B (239). 280 is an A.

The reformed subjects use scaled marks, hence the 375 scaled marks for 175 raw marks. I don't really get it either! (I did AQA Lit B by the way and the same applies there).
Reply 2
Oh my days same I thought it was just me, I don't get it???? Why do they scale them up and what does it mean, what are raw marks?

Quick Reply

Latest