The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Genetic counselling 2021

Hi there, has anyone on here been successful in gaining entry onto the genetic counselling MSc with Cardiff University?
Not me, but I'm hoping to apply for 2023 entry so would be very interested in the background of those who did this year!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Eljane
Hi there, has anyone on here been successful in gaining entry onto the genetic counselling MSc with Cardiff University?

Hi yes I am in my first year doing GC at Cardiff university! To provide some info on what I did to help my application…
-did a degree in biomedical science
-Worked at a counselling agency doing advocacy work whilst in third year of biomed
- volunteered with a womens aid charity once a week
-did a short course in counselling skills
-did a short course in acceptance and commitment therapy
-did lots of training around mental health, grief, domestic violence etc
-attended a lot of genetic/ biology seminars/ events

Hope this helps gain some insight! Other people on the programme also have a previous MSc, had different job roles/ experience. One thing I would say that is useful in addition to the caring experience is to take a short course in counselling skills. Other people also had experience shadowing a GC, although this can be hard to get!

Hope this helps!
Original post by Eljane
Hi yes I am in my first year doing GC at Cardiff university! To provide some info on what I did to help my application…
-Worked at a counselling agency doing advocacy work whilst in third year of biomed

Hope this helps gain some insight! Other people on the programme also have a previous MSc, had different job roles/ experience. One thing I would say that is useful in addition to the caring experience is to take a short course in counselling skills. Other people also had experience shadowing a GC, although this can be hard to get!

Hope this helps!

Hi! Thanks for the information shared. Just wondering about your care experience, did you have to specify the number of hours you had? I have had multiple volunteer experiences over the past year and it's difficult to specify the number of hours I've had and whether or not I've hit the minimum requirement.
Reply 4
Original post by Eljane

Hope this helps!

Hi

I've just been offered a place onto the MSc GC programme 2023 and I would love to get some advice for what to expect. I will be coordinating my study around my work, so it would be great to get an idea of how you've structured your study times. Please can you DM me? :smile:

Thanks,
Bay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending