The Student Room Group

Becoming a teacher with a degree from the OU?

I'm doing a degree via the Open University with a job on the side. Can I be accepted onto a PGCE or be a qualified teacher as my degree is not from a traditional university and I'm not sure whether it will be looked down on?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 2024MM
I'm doing a degree via the Open University with a job on the side. Can I be accepted onto a PGCE or be a qualified teacher as my degree is not from a traditional university and I'm not sure whether it will be looked down on?

No, it will be fine. I have a teacher with an OU degree in my department :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
No, it will be fine. I have a teacher with an OU degree in my department :smile:

Hi, thanks that's reassuring. I've always preferred learning independently, for some reason I learn more that way.
(edited 11 months ago)
The OU isn't looked down on, don't worry.
Original post by Muttley79

you are accepted with an OU degree happily at most schools
Original post by cheethamgraham
you are accepted with an OU degree happily at most schools

Why are you replying to me?
Original post by username6155523

Hi @username6155523,

No, you will not be looked down upon by having a OU degree. I would advise you to get an adviser (Get into Teaching) as we are all experienced teachers who can support you throughout your application for a PGCE course. Our service is free. As a primary school teacher for eighteen years, I can assure you that you will be welcome in the profession.

Good luck!

Tracy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending