The Student Room Group

Who would win a war between Britain and France?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Acuityo
I absolutely agree with this statement

Nice try bozo
Reply 21
Original post by .N.A.
Nice to see there are still smart people around

You too man!
Original post by Veronika Olek
Dear Student Roomers,

Britain and France have a long history of fighting against eachother. Then there was the Entente Cordiale thing. But relations between the two countries seem to be at a big low point again. And I wonder who would win an actual war these days between Britain and France.

Veronika Oleksychenko

Britain without a doubt at sea. They were the most powerful navy in the world at that time and thus France were not a match in the long run. Even Germany, an aspired naval power at that time thanks to the German Naval Laws, couldn't defeat Britain in World War I and lost the maritime battles.
Britain would win because France is all cowards
Reply 24
Original post by Veronika Olek
Dear Student Roomers,

Britain and France have a long history of fighting against eachother. Then there was the Entente Cordiale thing. But relations between the two countries seem to be at a big low point again. And I wonder who would win an actual war these days between Britain and France.

Veronika Oleksychenko

i think britain would win because we are cool and france smells like cheese
Original post by Lord Sir Howard
Britain would win because France is all cowards

Original post by samir965
i think britain would win because we are cool and france smells like cheese

I have never seen such good and subtle arguments for such a discussion. You guys are brilliant!
Reply 26
Neither, theyre both nuclear armed 2nd tier (or 3rd, depending on how you define it) military powers they can quite happily glass each other.

On the other hand, if you unrealistically ignore doomsday weapons, allies etc. France would likely win. They have a slightly more adept defence industry (we cant even build cannon barrels anymore) and have the benefit of being rather hard to blockade into submission.
Reply 27
Original post by Kallisto
Britain without a doubt at sea. They were the most powerful navy in the world at that time and thus France were not a match in the long run. Even Germany, an aspired naval power at that time thanks to the German Naval Laws, couldn't defeat Britain in World War I and lost the maritime battles.

What makes you say that? We both have *relatively* comparable naval power these days after all.
Original post by Napp
What makes you say that? We both have *relatively* comparable naval power these days after all.

First of all everything is a speculation in the presence. No one can't say what would have happened when France and Great Britain at that time would had battled with each other. But in time of imperialism and world war I, the UK was the strongest navy by far compared to the French. Here is a table in comparison! that is why I think, if a battle between these nations came true at sea, UK would had won it. That is my conclusion by reading such statistics.
Original post by Napp

Nostalgia, UK invested way too much in cutbacks and crap boats, EU & NATO would floor us (yea like they'll take Engerlands side)
Reply 30
Original post by Kallisto
First of all everything is a speculation in the presence. No one can't say what would have happened when France and Great Britain at that time would had battled with each other. But in time of imperialism and world war I, the UK was the strongest navy by far compared to the French. Here is a table in comparison! that is why I think, if a battle between these nations came true at sea, UK would had won it. That is my conclusion by reading such statistics.

Well, obviously. However, raw numbers and technological markers tend to make the difference between wild guesswork and educated speculation.
Yes it was back then but given the OP said in todays age.. the idea that Britain would, as a matter of course, wipe the floor with the surrender monkeys is ridiculous. Neither might have naval/military powers equivalent to a kitten but neither are overly powerful either. In turn, both are relatively equally matched in terms of technology, *rough* tonnage.
Simply put though, in this hypothetical, Britain is an island and comes with the distinct disadvantage that offers in times when we have sod all surface units - it wouldn't be overly hard, in theory, for the French to simply A2AD its ports and win that way. Unlike in times gone by anyway.
Again, wildly speculative and unrealistic but if it came down to the crunch, i'd be surprised if the RN could win (if simply not lose).
Reply 31
Original post by StriderHort
Nostalgia, UK invested way too much in cutbacks and crap boats, EU & NATO would floor us (yea like they'll take Engerlands side)

Its a sad sad day when our former colonial possessions end up with better equipped navy's (anything for that matter) than the mother country - the aussies do find it mildly entertaining that they were looking to buy more British ships than Britain itself. alas, what can you do though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending