The Student Room Group

unsure about applying to cambridge

hi! I'm going into year 13 and applying to do linguistics / eng lang and linguistics (dependent on uni). will be doing early applicants deadline anyway as my sixth form requires it, but i'm unsure whether to put in an application for cambridge. I visited on an open day in july and loved it, but part of me doubts whether im truly capable of it, or if i'll even stand out or have a strong enough application. My predicted alevels are A*AA/A*A*A (not confirmed yet) in sociology, history and eng lang which is what's required so that's good. My personal statement is pretty strong (I hope, I've done a lot of supracurricular stuff and extracurriculars thatI've linked back to my course, just working on perfecting the opening). I know everything is considered within context, but my gcses really worry me in this equation. i achieved 98887777776 which is okay, nothing amazing, and honestly for my school was pretty average. I could've done better as there were personal circumstances (mental health issues, family illness, undiagnosed autism) which made them tricky but as there's no record of it I'm worried that they'll just look unappealing. I worked my ass off throughout year 12 for my grades, and I plan on doing so throughout year 13. As i said, I really loved cambridge when i visited and it's 100% something I could see myself doing, I'm just very aware that there aren't many places available on the linguistics course and unsure if it's worth me applying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Original post by Anonymous
hi! I'm going into year 13 and applying to do linguistics / eng lang and linguistics (dependent on uni). will be doing early applicants deadline anyway as my sixth form requires it, but i'm unsure whether to put in an application for cambridge. I visited on an open day in july and loved it, but part of me doubts whether im truly capable of it, or if i'll even stand out or have a strong enough application. My predicted alevels are A*AA/A*A*A (not confirmed yet) in sociology, history and eng lang which is what's required so that's good. My personal statement is pretty strong (I hope, I've done a lot of supracurricular stuff and extracurriculars thatI've linked back to my course, just working on perfecting the opening). I know everything is considered within context, but my gcses really worry me in this equation. i achieved 98887777776 which is okay, nothing amazing, and honestly for my school was pretty average. I could've done better as there were personal circumstances (mental health issues, family illness, undiagnosed autism) which made them tricky but as there's no record of it I'm worried that they'll just look unappealing. I worked my ass off throughout year 12 for my grades, and I plan on doing so throughout year 13. As i said, I really loved cambridge when i visited and it's 100% something I could see myself doing, I'm just very aware that there aren't many places available on the linguistics course and unsure if it's worth me applying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Go for it
Hi! I applied for law at cambridge this year, and I got an offer in the august reconsideration. If you’re worried about the affect that your personal circumstances has had on your grades, then you could always submit mitigating circumstances. I went through a lot during my GCSE’s, but I too had no documentation of it, but the reference my tutor gave included a brief explanation of this, and she also obviously helped me complete the mitigating circumstances form. For context, my GCSEs are 88876655

Your grades seem strong, and you’ve nothing to lose by applying!! I would say absolutely go for it!!

I would warn you that the application process is slightly more intense than applying for any other uni (and I dont mean the interview section), just because they have a lot more additional forms etc to complete, so be prepared for that, because I was not expecting it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending