The Student Room Group

How to write an opinion article

Hi i have my english lang paper two next Monday and i was wondering if anyone could help me understand how to write an opinion article and what i should include
Reply 1
Original post by Rachel.e25
Hi i have my english lang paper two next Monday and i was wondering if anyone could help me understand how to write an opinion article and what i should include

I’m assuming this is the Question Five evaluative statement? I always do mine like this, and get high marks:

Introduction
First paragraph using ethos (adopt a persona of authority so the readers are more likely to believe you and respect your opinions, like a teacher in a secondary school or university - e.g. When I taught at (make up school name), I often noticed that…)
Second paragraph using logos (for your second point, drop in some facts and statistics that are made up yet still believable, but not too many as it is still English)
Third paragraph is a counterargument (why some may disagree with you, but why they are wrong)
Fourth paragraph using pathos (to hit home, tug on the reader’s heartstrings - I always end the paragraph with a rhetorical question, use triplets to drive my point home, and mention how they would feel if their children…)
Conclusion

Hope this helps! <3
Reply 2
Original post by dxodlebug
I’m assuming this is the Question Five evaluative statement? I always do mine like this, and get high marks:

Introduction
First paragraph using ethos (adopt a persona of authority so the readers are more likely to believe you and respect your opinions, like a teacher in a secondary school or university - e.g. When I taught at (make up school name), I often noticed that…)
Second paragraph using logos (for your second point, drop in some facts and statistics that are made up yet still believable, but not too many as it is still English)
Third paragraph is a counterargument (why some may disagree with you, but why they are wrong)
Fourth paragraph using pathos (to hit home, tug on the reader’s heartstrings - I always end the paragraph with a rhetorical question, use triplets to drive my point home, and mention how they would feel if their children…)
Conclusion

Hope this helps! <3

thank you so so so much!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending