The Student Room Group

Catfished by 16 year old

Okay so a person who added me on social media had a legit account and following. However when they spoke they said they'd finished uni etc lived in a certain city, far from me, and worked. They said they were 21 and had also spoke to matual friends and said they were 21, which I had asked others and they said the same. It got to a stage were we spoke and got on well as friends first and called a couple of times not much. Then I asked if she'd want to get to know me better as a person and she was down and had equal feelings as she said.

The conversation it self died down as I was working in summer and didn't message much so I told her to just move on. And had deleted her from my social media's.

After a month I got a phone call from a lady. First call she said she'd misdialled then I got a call from the same lady after 5 hours asking why I spoke to a 16 year old. But the lady didn't knw my name just said they had my number on a call history and my name was saved as someone else but this girl supposedly lived in wales, but had a southern accent.

I'm not sure what to do as I honestly thought this person was 21 as I was 22 at the time, and kept getting calls from strangers on private all not knowing what my name is and acting like this girl as thus happened on my birthday . I have since changed my number and had no one contact me on anything. But I have not done anything wrong to this person as in, met them in person, sexted or anything inappropriate so I need some help please.

Convo wise I deleted the convos on text and socials as I didn't think much of it months ago and thought the person would have moved on. But asking people who had her socials they thought she was older
Sounds like you’ve done everything you need to do. Is there any reason you’re still worried?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Sounds like you’ve done everything you need to do. Is there any reason you’re still worried?

Not really i was just worried as I did not know what to do at first as I had done nothing wrong or was aware at the time as the person had lied about their age or pretended to act older than they were as I always used to ask how their day at work was. But the people who had got in touch with me were from different places and ethnicities and they assumed I was older even though they never asked my age. I feel like this person has lied to many people and has been caught by their parents but has saved me as someone im not. I made it clear to the people who called me i live more than 5 hours away from the city they mentioned and that ive never been to these locations. I was harassed everyday until I changed my number. Is there a way for them to find my new number or will they leave me alone as they dont know my name or details on social media. As i have exams soon and I feel so stressed since my birthday.
How old are you? Are you both in the UK? Where and how did you meet?
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so a person who added me on social media had a legit account and following. However when they spoke they said they'd finished uni etc lived in a certain city, far from me, and worked. They said they were 21 and had also spoke to matual friends and said they were 21, which I had asked others and they said the same. It got to a stage were we spoke and got on well as friends first and called a couple of times not much. Then I asked if she'd want to get to know me better as a person and she was down and had equal feelings as she said.

The conversation it self died down as I was working in summer and didn't message much so I told her to just move on. And had deleted her from my social media's.

After a month I got a phone call from a lady. First call she said she'd misdialled then I got a call from the same lady after 5 hours asking why I spoke to a 16 year old. But the lady didn't knw my name just said they had my number on a call history and my name was saved as someone else but this girl supposedly lived in wales, but had a southern accent.

I'm not sure what to do as I honestly thought this person was 21 as I was 22 at the time, and kept getting calls from strangers on private all not knowing what my name is and acting like this girl as thus happened on my birthday . I have since changed my number and had no one contact me on anything. But I have not done anything wrong to this person as in, met them in person, sexted or anything inappropriate so I need some help please.

Convo wise I deleted the convos on text and socials as I didn't think much of it months ago and thought the person would have moved on. But asking people who had her socials they thought she was older

Alrighty, lets get one thing straight... you've done NOTHING wrong if you legit believed she was 21. Nonetheless, although frowned upon by many, 16 is legal in the Great Britain (17 in NI)... so unless a specific allegation was made (say, regarding consent) there's absolutely no legal repercussions from this, whatsoever. The issue here is purely image or reputational damage.

However, if either of you were in a place where the age of consent is higher, they would need to be able to prove that you knew (or had reason to suspect) that she was only 16... if you've got evidence of you asking her age and some kind of proof about it, that should be enough to put you in the clear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending