The Student Room Group

Is this a red flag ?

I met a guy recently and we were getting on so well, video calling most nights and we're going to go on a date. We spent a few weeks getting to know each other and we told each other a lot and really got to know each other. He really did make me smile.

Unfortunately I had to cancel our first date because something happened. He was really annoyed with me because I told him an hour before and I'll admit I was barely on my phone the day before. I wanted to rearrange but he said he expects me to be a better communicator. I didn't reply to him for a weeks because I was scared he was angry with me and whatever I was going to say to him was going to seem like an excuse.

Last weekend he wished me a happy birthday which was sweet that he remembered. I asked if we could talk and he seemed like the sweet guy I first started talking to. I suggested meeting and he was up for the idea. I knew that he had moved flat and had been under stress at work at that point so I could understand why he wouldn't want to talk to me.

On Tuesday he asked if I was free that night but it was too short notice for me and I wasn't feeling well. He asked if was free on Thursday or Sunday. I was so ill that I barely could look at my phone. I got back to him on Friday and I said sorry but I couldn't. He sent me a huge long message basically saying he feels like he's being messed around and doesn't want to be treated like an option. That my communication has been rubbish and he needs to know what my intentions are.
It just seems like a huge overreaction to me! Especially when I'm ill. Is this a red flag ? Is he one of these emotional stable nut jobs ?
Reply 1
It’s not really a red flag tbh he probably got frustrated at the fact ur cancelling last minute , and also he could have seen it as u making excuses not wanting to meet up. Which is a normal thing and how most people would feel especially if they are really interested in u
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I met a guy recently and we were getting on so well, video calling most nights and we're going to go on a date. We spent a few weeks getting to know each other and we told each other a lot and really got to know each other. He really did make me smile.

Unfortunately I had to cancel our first date because something happened. He was really annoyed with me because I told him an hour before and I'll admit I was barely on my phone the day before. I wanted to rearrange but he said he expects me to be a better communicator. I didn't reply to him for a weeks because I was scared he was angry with me and whatever I was going to say to him was going to seem like an excuse.

Last weekend he wished me a happy birthday which was sweet that he remembered. I asked if we could talk and he seemed like the sweet guy I first started talking to. I suggested meeting and he was up for the idea. I knew that he had moved flat and had been under stress at work at that point so I could understand why he wouldn't want to talk to me.

On Tuesday he asked if I was free that night but it was too short notice for me and I wasn't feeling well. He asked if was free on Thursday or Sunday. I was so ill that I barely could look at my phone. I got back to him on Friday and I said sorry but I couldn't. He sent me a huge long message basically saying he feels like he's being messed around and doesn't want to be treated like an option. That my communication has been rubbish and he needs to know what my intentions are.
It just seems like a huge overreaction to me! Especially when I'm ill. Is this a red flag ? Is he one of these emotional stable nut jobs ?

Sounds like you're the red flag to be honest. Either make plans with him right now or tell him you're not interested!
Reply 3
To be honest I have some sympathy with him. Cancelling dates last minute is poor form, and if it’s genuine you should go out of your way to reschedule. This said if he’s getting quite arsey with someone he hasn’t even met rather than just walking away it’s a bit intense. Anyway, if it’s gone angsty before it’s even got going it’s not a good sign. I’d give up and look for another opportunity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending