The Student Room Group

Can I apply to Oxbridge with a grade 3 at GCSE?

If my GCSEs are a mixture of grade 8s and 9s (let suppose they are something like "999998888") but I achieve a grade 3 or 4 in a totally unrelated subject to the one I apply to study, will this be disadvantageous when I apply to oxford or cambridge? (I assume it won't be too disadvantageous but I'm still quite worried as to what effect this can have)
It really depends on what the subjects are for your grade 3. Providing you have a strong set of 8s and 9s then it shouldn't disadvantage you too much. Also depends upon what subject you are considering applying for. If it's a heavily over subscribed subject with 10+ applicants per place then they may look closer at GCSE grades.
Probably not an issue, might depend whether it's Oxford or Cambridge and which subject it is you're applying for and what subject you got the weaker grade in.
Original post by Academiccomeback
If my GCSEs are a mixture of grade 8s and 9s (let suppose they are something like "999998888") but I achieve a grade 3 or 4 in a totally unrelated subject to the one I apply to study, will this be disadvantageous when I apply to oxford or cambridge? (I assume it won't be too disadvantageous but I'm still quite worried as to what effect this can have)

You'll be completely fine, don't let that dissuade you from applying.

i would still submit an application to Oxford and see how they respond
Hi. Still not sure about Oxford or Cambridge (am in Year 11). The 3 is in a totally unrelated subject, but I think I might end up getting a 4 or 5 (still bad, but hopefully won’t be too detrimental)
@Peterhouse Admissions Could you please shed some light on this matter? (The potential grade 4 or 5 is in a completely irrelevant subject to the one I want to apply for)
Reply 7

Are you in year 11 or 13?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7376923#post98659103

I applied to Oxford with a Grade 3 in one subject unrelated to my course and was accepted.

Cambridge are not that bothered about GCSEs (medicine aside) anyway. Oxford are more so but one 3 amid a (large) set of other excellent grades (and in a non-related subject!) is unlikely to be any meaningful disadvantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending