The Student Room Group

Is a 2:1 good enough to be a barrister?

I have just received my final grades from Birmingham City University I have achieved 69% (2:1). I am in the process of asking for my grades to be reclassified. If they are not though will a 2:1 with a average of 69% be good enough to be a barrister. Thank you for the help.
Reply 1
A 2:1 degree with an average of 69% is a good start for becoming a barrister. However, it is not the only factor that they will consider. Other factors include your work experience, extracurricular activities, and personal statement. Maybe you can start networking with barristers and other legal professionals. You can also get involved in extracurricular activities that will help you develop your legal skills, such as mooting or debating. Writing a solid personal statement explaining why you want to become a barrister and what you can offer the profession is crucial. You can reach me at [email protected] or [email protected] for personalised assistance on your personal statement. All the best.

Original post by j-page28
I have just received my final grades from Birmingham City University I have achieved 69% (2:1). I am in the process of asking for my grades to be reclassified. If they are not though will a 2:1 with a average of 69% be good enough to be a barrister. Thank you for the help.
Reply 2
ShanLynn- OK well I have done some good extra activities and have a few mini pupillages. just heard from a few people it is all they look at. I am glad it is not and they will consider other things. thank you for the help
Reply 3
Is 2:1 the ratio of people you will get off/get jailed lmao
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
You are welcome! Please do not hesitate to reach me in case you need any assistance!

ShanLynn- OK well I have done some good extra activities and have a few mini pupillages. just heard from a few people it is all they look at. I am glad it is not and they will consider other things. thank you for the help

Anyone who has told you that degree classification is all that is looked at in the pupillage application process does not have a single idea how the process works. Academics are important insofar as you need to hit minimum grades, which in practice are usually a 2:1 at undergraduate, and then a Very Competent on the Bar course. The difficult bit comes with everything else that goes on your application and how you actually write it. But your 2:1 is fine.
Reply 6
crazy jamie- thank you for the kind words and help.

1 more %!

Quick Reply

Latest