The Student Room Group

Stressing out about Maths GCSE

Heyo,

The title really explains how im feeling right now. Im not the best at maths yet im on Higher, but in the mocks i got 4s consistantly, however, I hear people in the same set as me think they got like 50/80 on a paper, and it's making me nervous. The more people that get a higher mark, the higher they make the grades, and that scares me, cos I normally get around 18-19 marks per paper. The school wouldnt let me go down to foundation, since that would essentially guarentee me a 4 since I can do the maths (by the looks of past foundation papers) on those papers, but now I'm nervous. Any advice? Paper 3 is on Wednesday 14th, so I have 2 days.

Thanks
Emu
Reply 1
Original post by emumanhonk
Heyo,

The title really explains how im feeling right now. Im not the best at maths yet im on Higher, but in the mocks i got 4s consistantly, however, I hear people in the same set as me think they got like 50/80 on a paper, and it's making me nervous. The more people that get a higher mark, the higher they make the grades, and that scares me, cos I normally get around 18-19 marks per paper. The school wouldnt let me go down to foundation, since that would essentially guarentee me a 4 since I can do the maths (by the looks of past foundation papers) on those papers, but now I'm nervous. Any advice? Paper 3 is on Wednesday 14th, so I have 2 days.

Thanks
Emu

Ty doing as many past papers as you can, with knowledge organisers at your elbow or on your computer, so if you ever get stuck on anything, you can quickly check. Anything that you don't have a clue on, try reading through the knowledge organisers on them (if you don't have them search up the topic and you'll probably find revision sheets), and try to cover as much stuff as possible. I think it's better to get a general understanding of everything than getting a really good understanding of just a couple things, since lots of say 2 marks is better than a few 4 marks and rest 1s and 0s.
Other than that good luck!! As long as you pass that's fine, if you're not planning to do maths related stuff in the future. Again, good luck and try your best!!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
I was in a similar spot for my last maths mock, I had a 4/80 and when I had the exam I ended up getting a high B which was 30-33 marks on each paper. I am sure you can do the same too! I was in higher and was doing the worst out of my class. I wasn't sure on any of my answers either and just tried to answer everything. With the foundation thing, I wouldn't try to stress too much as higher means that it is easier to get a better grade compared to the rates from foundation.
I would suggest focusing on smaller topics that you think you can go over in time for your exam and try to avoid learning too many hard topics and getting overwhelmed right before the exam too. The GCSE Maths Tutor is going to hold a YT live for tomorrow before the exam so maybe it could help you as it seems to be for Paper 3. He isn't streaming now though and is just showing the preview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzY5VO32b_k
I also have a maths exam for on that day for a different exam board, so good luck to both of us!

Quick Reply

Latest