The Student Room Group

Can I request for an exam not to be marked after I've sat it?

Asking as a private candidate.
Can I ask edexcel not to mark my exam after I sat it the other day (effectively withdrawing an entry).
Doubtful, I guess you can ask?
No. They will not entertain you. That's why I don't think A levels are for most people. I would 1 million% prefer the US way of evaluating student. UK way is too outdated.
Reply 3
Original post by blade000
No. They will not entertain you. That's why I don't think A levels are for most people. I would 1 million% prefer the US way of evaluating student. UK way is too outdated.

Can I ask how you know that for sure? Thank you!
Original post by lange schlange
Can I ask how you know that for sure? Thank you!

I don't have black and white proof from the exam boards, but it's a very logical way of thinking. If such a request is acceptable, many may also ask to "revoke" their ungraded or poor grades, as if they had never taken the test. Such a request also undermines the authority and authenticity of the exam board. I would encourage you to give it a try and can't wait for you to prove me wrong.
(edited 11 months ago)

How do the US do it?
Original post by blitterflicker
How do the US do it?

It varies from colleges to colleges. In general, U.S. colleges assess student performance through attendance (yes, attendance counts!), regular quizzes, presentations, participation, and several exams in each subject you take. No one major exam determines your future. I have friends who did their degree in the US. They said it is super easy to get top grades and they really enjoyed studying there.
It varies from colleges to colleges. In general, U.S. colleges assess student performance through attendance (yes, attendance counts!), regular quizzes, presentations, participation, and several exams in each subject you take. No one major exam determines your future. I have friends who did their degree in the US. They said it is super easy to get top grades and they really enjoyed studying there.

Damn. Yeah that does sound way better. I’ve heard a few people mention that the British education system is old fashioned and outdated because of the exams but I didn’t understand how other countries would make up for it.
Reply 8
I don't have black and white proof from the exam boards, but it's a very logical way of thinking. If such a request is acceptable, many may also ask to "revoke" their ungraded or poor grades, as if they had never taken the test. Such a request also undermines the authority and authenticity of the exam board. I would encourage you to give it a try and can't wait for you to prove me wrong.

Ah, I think I didnt clarify. I have not yet received my results. I sat the exam last Friday. I just had a talk with my exams officer and she is able to withdraw me, so it is possible after all.

Thank you for the help though!

Quick Reply

Latest