The Student Room Group

Gcses poor

Hi I have done all my gcses and am confident I will get A*s and As but I have one guaranteed low grade . Maths.. . I want to do dentistry in the future and am not taking maths for alevel . Will a B in maths be enough to get me in or will it heavily impact my chances compared to others who may have got the same grades but an A* in maths. Thanks I’m just stressing that’s all because I know I haven’t done very well in it . Anything will help even if it’s negative. Thanks very much.
Reply 1
Original post by Sam23488986
Hi I have done all my gcses and am confident I will get A*s and As but I have one guaranteed low grade . Maths.. . I want to do dentistry in the future and am not taking maths for alevel . Will a B in maths be enough to get me in or will it heavily impact my chances compared to others who may have got the same grades but an A* in maths. Thanks I’m just stressing that’s all because I know I haven’t done very well in it . Anything will help even if it’s negative. Thanks very much.

I don't think it will effect you from getting into university. A 'B' is still really good. Universities tend to look more at A-levels rather than GCSEs. Alongs if you pass your GCSEs then you have got them in the bag.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
2fg
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Thanks man appreciate it

Original post by Alonepast
I don't think it will effect you from getting into university. A 'B' is still really good. Universities tend to look more at A-levels rather than GCSEs. Alongs if you pass your GCSEs then you have got them in the bag.
Reply 4
I think you should be cautious about that. Most dental schools, with I think very few exceptions (such as Leeds) have a minimum requirement of getting As in maths and the sciences. I would do a lot of research to not run the risk of getting rejected. I understand that this might not be something you want to hear, and I do empathize with you, but there are still options out there. If you qualify for contextual or foundation courses then GCSE grade requirements are very low and that could give you a shot. There should be a few universities that don't need As, but in the event that you can't make it you can try going for courses such as Dental Hygiene and Therapy at Newcastle, where you can do a conversion to dentistry after your first year. Make sure you apply wisely and (if you're doing maths at A level put in as much effort as you can) try to spend your summer doing a bit of relaxing (GCSEs are hard) and of course a little bit of revising/WE/research to get you ahead of the game. Best of luck!

*Oops just realized you said you weren't doing maths for A level so good for you maths is over :biggrin:, make sure to take an A level that is widely accepted by most dental schools to increase your odds
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
I did some research and to my surprise a lot say a minimum is a B for maths science English etc . I’m confident in sciences and English just not maths which I’m about 90% a B . The only problem is will it favour other people who also apply and get better gcses ? Or do they not matter too much and as long as I do experience work and of course get good alevels will I be okay?

Original post by Ionomer
I think you should be cautious about that. Most dental schools, with I think very few exceptions (such as Leeds) have a minimum requirement of getting As in maths and the sciences. I would do a lot of research to not run the risk of getting rejected. I understand that this might not be something you want to hear, and I do empathize with you, but there are still options out there. If you qualify for contextual or foundation courses then GCSE grade requirements are very low and that could give you a shot. There should be a few universities that don't need As, but in the event that you can't make it you can try going for courses such as Dental Hygiene and Therapy at Newcastle, where you can do a conversion to dentistry after your first year. Make sure you apply wisely and (if you're doing maths at A level put in as much effort as you can) try to spend your summer doing a bit of relaxing (GCSEs are hard) and of course a little bit of revising/WE/research to get you ahead of the game. Best of luck!

*Oops just realized you said you weren't doing maths for A level so good for you maths is over :biggrin:, make sure to take an A level that is widely accepted by most dental schools to increase your odds
Reply 6
Original post by Sam23488986
I did some research and to my surprise a lot say a minimum is a B for maths science English etc . I’m confident in sciences and English just not maths which I’m about 90% a B . The only problem is will it favour other people who also apply and get better gcses ? Or do they not matter too much and as long as I do experience work and of course get good alevels will I be okay?

When I applied last cycle a lot of the universities had a minimum of grade 7 if I recall correctly, but it wasn't something I was concerned about at the time, so if that's what the websites say, then you can apply to the universities you feel you will have a better chance of being accepted to, this advice above just comes from my experience with applying.

Outside of requirements, some universities, such as King's and Belfast will take your GCSEs into consideration when shortlisting for interview. For others, such as Bristol or Barts, GCSE grades are irrelevant outside of the minimum requirements. In most cases though, what's more important are your A level grades. To make yourself a competitive candidate, I (personally) would say you should get above the minimum threshold of A*AA, even though technically AAA is fine. You'll be OK if you do your UCAT properly, and again, meet the right thresholds. Ideally above 2800 although lower scores will be accepted, particularly if you qualify for contextual entry. I would still caution, despite what you say about universities saying they accept a B, against applying to more competitive unis such as KCL.

Quick Reply

Latest