The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

I’m going into year 12 so I don’t know what my predicted grades are however if your starting predictions are worse than you thought but at year 13 you get the grades you need can you still get into a russell group uni, thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by reflective-these
I’m going into year 12 so I don’t know what my predicted grades are however if your starting predictions are worse than you thought but at year 13 you get the grades you need can you still get into a russell group uni, thank you!!

Of course! You would be able to apply through clearing if you are not initially made an offer.
Original post by Aceful
Of course! You would be able to apply through clearing if you are not initially made an offer.

With your initial course you want to do?
Reply 3
All schools have a different way of devising predicted grades - some use 'end of Year 12 grades', some use mock exams, some use teacher intuition. Check with your teachers on the system used by your school.

If your predicted grades are not that good, then its worth talking to your teachers / school about 'waiting' and you put in some real extra effort to show your teachers that you are taking this seriously and then they may agree to increase your grades. Equally, you could change gear now and show them you can work at that level from day one of term.

Do not get hung up about 'Russell Group' - it is just a marketing concept and doesnt actually mean much. Schools can be very silly about this and often talk total utter out-of-date nonsense about it. There are plenty of exceptional Unis that are not part of RG - and plenty that are 'better' for those degree subjects than RG Unis.
Reply 4
Original post by reflective-these
With your initial course you want to do?

Depends on if there are spaces after results day.
Original post by Aceful
Depends on if there are spaces after results day.

Hello @reflective-these

As Aceful stated, it would depend on what spaces are available come results day.

If your predicted grades are below the offer then you can assume they will not give you a conditional offer, especially a russel group. However, you are more than free to reapply through clearing to any universities offering your course if you get higher grades on the actual results day. The exact course and university you're looking at may not be in clearing, but you'll more than likely be able to find a similar course at a good university through the clearing process.

This is all if you're predicted grades are too low and you get higher results on the day. If you are still below offer grades on results day it would be better to look at different universities duirng the clearing process--or resit.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending