The Student Room Group

Would cancelling going to uni now count as dropping out?

Hi, having some doubts about going to university right now - I am really starting to think I might not be ready for it all, and a year out seems like it would solve a lot of issues...

But would cancelling my admission to the university be detrimental to future applications? I have registered online (school email and all), in accommodation contracts, with direct debits set up and everything...

So not sure whether to stick with it or take a year out generally - but if I were to cancel, would this be hard and be a red flag for other universities possibly?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi, having some doubts about going to university right now - I am really starting to think I might not be ready for it all, and a year out seems like it would solve a lot of issues...

But would cancelling my admission to the university be detrimental to future applications? I have registered online (school email and all), in accommodation contracts, with direct debits set up and everything...

So not sure whether to stick with it or take a year out generally - but if I were to cancel, would this be hard and be a red flag for other universities possibly?

Thanks

Universities in the future will not know you cancelled your offer. But however if you decide to go and then decide you wanna drop out and reapply then you have to inform your uni you previously attended another uni. This isn't a big issue plenty of people do it. There is a whole forum on this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

Thanks

If you withdraw before term starts (and hence your fee liability starts) then it won't affect anything student finance wise. You may lose your deposit on your accommodation though.

Also you won't have ever started the course so other unis wouldn't even know you had previously had an offer for that course - you only need to list courses you have actually started (even if not completed) on UCAS. If you are reapplying to the same uni they will probably be aware but doubt it would make any difference.

Just make sure you notify the uni you will not be starting and complete any necessary processes/documentation required for this. Also make sure you notify SFE - it is your responsibility to tell SFE to ensure they do not pay you or the uni in error!

Original post by 3908
Universities in the future will not know you cancelled your offer. But however if you decide to go and then decide you wanna drop out and reapply then you have to inform your uni you previously attended another uni. This isn't a big issue plenty of people do it. There is a whole forum on this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

They only need to list the uni if they had actually started the course. Notifying the uni they aren't going to matriculate in the fall before the course begins means they won't have started the course and won't need to declare it (as there is nothing to declare!).
Original post by artful_lounger
If you withdraw before term starts (and hence your fee liability starts) then it won't affect anything student finance wise. You may lose your deposit on your accommodation though.

Also you won't have ever started the course so other unis wouldn't even know you had previously had an offer for that course - you only need to list courses you have actually started (even if not completed) on UCAS. If you are reapplying to the same uni they will probably be aware but doubt it would make any difference.

Just make sure you notify the uni you will not be starting and complete any necessary processes/documentation required for this. Also make sure you notify SFE - it is your responsibility to tell SFE to ensure they do not pay you or the uni in error!

They only need to list the uni if they had actually started the course. Notifying the uni they aren't going to matriculate in the fall before the course begins means they won't have started the course and won't need to declare it (as there is nothing to declare!).

Ok thank you. Really torn about whether its worth it. I'm doing a good degree at a good uni - I feel like I will regret what I do no matter which direction I go...
Ok thank you. Really torn about whether its worth it. I'm doing a good degree at a good uni - I feel like I will regret what I do no matter which direction I go...

Well, why are you considering withdrawing from the course at this stage? What course is it you would be doing, and what course would you be doing instead?

Why not just defer your offer for a year? That gives you the option to take it up again next year instead but also time to rethink and change your mind.
Original post by PQ
Why not just defer your offer for a year? That gives you the option to take it up again next year instead but also time to rethink and change your mind.

Can I defer but also apply to different universities? The ability to go elsewhere is part of the attraction of taking a year out. Can I just cancel and reapply through UCAS like I never accepted?
Can I defer but also apply to different universities? The ability to go elsewhere is part of the attraction of taking a year out. Can I just cancel and reapply through UCAS like I never accepted?

If you want to reapply then you can’t hold a deferred offer.

What you can do is speak to your current university and ask if they would normally reinstate your offer if you reapply next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending