The Student Room Group

Employment shortage

I have been unemployed since October 2020, and I've applied to hundreds of jobs. I don't know what to do.
I have my English and Math GCSEs and good grades in other subjects. I am able to work 3 days a week, which is better than the average 2 for a student. And, I've had many people look at my CV and said it looked fine.
I think I have had about 3 interviews this time of unemployment, but each time they have told me that I interviewed well but they needed me to work 4-5 days a week, which is just not possible with College (Soon to be a University student). Also, 3 interviews in over 2 years of applying are really bad. I don't know what is happening.

I don't know what else I can do. I've posted messages on my town's local group asking if anyone knew of anything, and I am always polite to those I meet, just in case they have some work for me. (Although, I would be polite anyway because it's kind).

It's very draining applying over and over again and getting nowhere. I had more hope now that I've turned 18, but there's nothing out there. The jobs that are local require qualifications and experience I don't have. And the jobs which I could do Hospitality, Retail, et cetera, are nowhere in sight in my area.

I don't have a car, so I can't drive to get to a job that I would be qualified for. I would need a job in the first place to get a car. And, I don't want to spend 1hr &30mins+ commuting to work, one way, as that is time I could be using to work.

I feel like there aren't any options for me. I am moving to Kent for University, so maybe there will be better options there?
Original post by poppylwilson
I have been unemployed since October 2020, and I've applied to hundreds of jobs. I don't know what to do.
I have my English and Math GCSEs and good grades in other subjects. I am able to work 3 days a week, which is better than the average 2 for a student. And, I've had many people look at my CV and said it looked fine.
I think I have had about 3 interviews this time of unemployment, but each time they have told me that I interviewed well but they needed me to work 4-5 days a week, which is just not possible with College (Soon to be a University student). Also, 3 interviews in over 2 years of applying are really bad. I don't know what is happening.

I don't know what else I can do. I've posted messages on my town's local group asking if anyone knew of anything, and I am always polite to those I meet, just in case they have some work for me. (Although, I would be polite anyway because it's kind).

It's very draining applying over and over again and getting nowhere. I had more hope now that I've turned 18, but there's nothing out there. The jobs that are local require qualifications and experience I don't have. And the jobs which I could do Hospitality, Retail, et cetera, are nowhere in sight in my area.

I don't have a car, so I can't drive to get to a job that I would be qualified for. I would need a job in the first place to get a car. And, I don't want to spend 1hr &30mins+ commuting to work, one way, as that is time I could be using to work.

I feel like there aren't any options for me. I am moving to Kent for University, so maybe there will be better options there?

Are there any fast food places in your area? They seem to take on a lot of students.
Also apply to agencies, they may be able to help.
Also look on websites such as indeed.com
Original post by poppylwilson

Hi Poppy,

There is lots of jobs in Canterbury and the surrounding areas and if you can try applying before getting here it would massively as otherwise you risk getting in too late.

There is lots of work at CCCU as a student, check out Unitemps.com which list a range of roles as well as multiple roles available to work as a paid 'student ambassador' or even content ambassadors if social media if your thing!

I was in the Canterbury Asda yesterday and two of the people on checkouts were CCCU 1st years so there is a whole variety of options available.

Best off luck though and let us know if you need any additional help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending