The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Termination of Studies

I recently failed a module in my first year at Lancaster university, and as such have failed the year. I believe this to be due to mental health issues, however I have only just begun the process of seeking help for this and as such cannot submit an extenuating circumstances form. I recognise this is my fault. However, my university has a policy that those that fail their first year reassessments should be granted a repeat year or a chance to resit in December. The year I failed was my repeat year, however I did not fail my first year; I withdrew from my studies for personal reasons. The uni is now saying that because I was on a repeat year, I will not be given further reassessment opportunites, but this was never stated to me, and I believed that as I never failed originally, I would be given these reassessment opportunites. It never states in the Lancaster regulations that I wouldn't. Do you think I have grounds for an appeal?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I recently failed a module in my first year at Lancaster university, and as such have failed the year. I believe this to be due to mental health issues, however I have only just begun the process of seeking help for this and as such cannot submit an extenuating circumstances form. I recognise this is my fault. However, my university has a policy that those that fail their first year reassessments should be granted a repeat year or a chance to resit in December. The year I failed was my repeat year, however I did not fail my first year; I withdrew from my studies for personal reasons. The uni is now saying that because I was on a repeat year, I will not be given further reassessment opportunites, but this was never stated to me, and I believed that as I never failed originally, I would be given these reassessment opportunites. It never states in the Lancaster regulations that I wouldn't. Do you think I have grounds for an appeal?

It really depends on what exactly is stated in their policy. You need to carefully read the policy to see. If you don't have a copy of this, you can ask for it. I don't think you can appeal based on you believing something else, or you not being told, as they will say that all students are meant to have read the policies.

You will have good grounds to appeal if they have either not followed their own policies, or if your situation is not clearly covered in their policies.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
what they said ^

The Assessment Regs will say what is okay / not okay - but Unis can sometime chose to flex especially if you were misled or the guidance is imprecise. You need to ask the right person - eg Programme Lead / Head of Department is likely to be more influential than a Student Admin who will just recite the rules

These might be the latest - ask to see them
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/lancaster-university/content-assets/documents/student-based-services/asq/marp/UG-Assess-Regs.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

From the policy that @ChiefBrody provided, it sounds to me like you do have grounds to appeal. See UG 4.2.6 of the policy:

UG 4.2.6 Students opting for a repeat or restart year will:
(a) have full-time student status;
(b) lose all credit, marks and grades gained in the original Part I year;
(c) undergo an assessment of support needs (both academic and general wellbeing)
at the start of the repeat year;
(d) be placed on academic probation, with especially close monitoring of academic
progress by the major department;
(e) otherwise be treated the same as any other Part I student;
(f) have one resit opportunity if necessary;
(g) not be allowed any further resit opportunity as an external candidate or another
repeat year, except under exceptional circumstances where approved by the
Part I Resit Board.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending