The Student Room Group

De-banked for expressing alternative social views

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
OK, I have read the above comments, I listened to LBC which discusses social and political matters and didn't hear any mention of it (of course I may have missed it), same for BBC news, which begs the question, how to people form their views? what information are they relying on? Do people just form an opinion based on certain media outlets and stick with that?

I watched Farage and my character judgement was that he was not lying, same with this reverend, de-banked by Yorkshire B.S.

Yesterdays Telegraph had an article.
If you can't read it, it reports that YBS admits to closing accounts if customers discriminate in any way.
They asked their customers for comments and given their pro-pride stance The Rev. expressed his belief that Transgenderism should not be taught to children. . . . at least that's my understanding of what happened, correct me if I'm wrong.

It further comments: "Whilst he (Farage) did not name the institution, it has previously been reported that he had a mortgage with Coutts, which is owned by NatWest."

My concern was that if Farage was right in saying 7 banks had refused him without explanation, then is it the case that all banks are now speaking with the same previously unspoken mind? . . . . meaning freedom of speech .. . what previous generations fought and died for . . . is seriously endangered because most people cannot operate in modern society without a bank account (they close the accounts of close family members too).

The Chancellor of the Exchequer has today come out strongly, at least if this Telegraph article is to be believed:

" . . . Jeremy Hunt, the Chancellor, is understood to be “deeply concerned” that overzealous lenders are closing down accounts because they disagree with customers’ opinions and has asked City minister Andrew Griffith to investigate the issue.
Whitehall sources said that results of a consultation on the subject will be published within weeks, after it was launched earlier this year in the wake of PayPal blocking the accounts of free speech groups. . .
. A senior Treasury source said: “It is absolutely a concern. No one should have their bank account denied on the grounds of freedom of expression. We expect to take action on this issue within weeks . . . ."
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by NJA
OK, I have read the above comments, I listened to LBC which discusses social and political matters and didn't hear any mention of it (of course I may have missed it), same for BBC news, which begs the question, how to people form their views? what information are they relying on? Do people just form an opinion based on certain media outlets and stick with that?

I watched Farage and my character judgement was that he was not lying, same with this reverend, de-banked by Yorkshire B.S.

Yesterdays Telegraph had an article.
If you can't read it, it reports that YBS admits to closing accounts if customers discriminate in any way.
They asked their customers for comments and given their pro-pride stance The Rev. expressed his belief that Transgenderism should not be taught to children. . . . at least that's my understanding of what happened, correct me if I'm wrong.

It further comments: "Whilst he (Farage) did not name the institution, it has previously been reported that he had a mortgage with Coutts, which is owned by NatWest."

My concern was that if Farage was right in saying 7 banks had refused him without explanation, then is it the case that all banks are now speaking with the same previously unspoken mind? . . . . meaning freedom of speech .. . what previous generations fought and died for . . . is seriously endangered because most people cannot operate in modern society without a bank account (they close the accounts of close family members too).

The Chancellor of the Exchequer has today come out strongly, at least if this Telegraph article is to be believed:

" . . . Jeremy Hunt, the Chancellor, is understood to be “deeply concerned” that overzealous lenders are closing down accounts because they disagree with customers’ opinions and has asked City minister Andrew Griffith to investigate the issue.
Whitehall sources said that results of a consultation on the subject will be published within weeks, after it was launched earlier this year in the wake of PayPal blocking the accounts of free speech groups. . .
. A senior Treasury source said: “It is absolutely a concern. No one should have their bank account denied on the grounds of freedom of expression. We expect to take action on this issue within weeks . . . ."

You, like the eternally outraged right wing press, are asking the question "What if he is correct?".

The real question should be "Is he correct?".

Nobody should trust the claims of a politician, let alone a wannebe politician whose only job now is to attract attention to themself. We still don't have any way to independently verify any of these claims, so why should we believe them?

This is exactly what Farage wants and you have readily played into the grift. No doubt he has got a huge surge in viewers because people will believe anything they read.
Reply 42
Original post by SHallowvale
You, like the eternally outraged right wing press, are asking the question "What if he is correct?".

The real question should be "Is he correct?".

Nobody should trust the claims of a politician, let alone a wannebe politician whose only job now is to attract attention to themself. We still don't have any way to independently verify any of these claims, so why should we believe them?

This is exactly what Farage wants and you have readily played into the grift. No doubt he has got a huge surge in viewers because people will believe anything they read.

LBC has finally decided this is newsworthy and is presenting the claims as fact, others are calling in to share their similar experience.

Which news outlet do you trust?
Reply 43
Original post by NJA

Hey remoaner, we fought for generations to take back control. Thankfully we haven't agreed equivalence with the EU over financial services. Hopefully Nige can see the bigger picture here and inevitably some folk might lose out in order for the majority to prosper.
Original post by NJA
LBC has finally decided this is newsworthy and is presenting the claims as fact, others are calling in to share their similar experience.

Which news outlet do you trust?

It doesn't become a fact just because LBC declare it so. Do you believe everything LBC reports is the fact, or anything any other news broadcaster reports? Given your past skepticism towards Covid I seriously doubt it, like most conspiracy theorists you are picking and choosing what you believe.

The only thing which is important here are the bank itself. Not Farage, not news broadcasters. If the bank (whoever they are, we still don't know) have done this then some proof should be available. Farage refuses to name the bank or present proof so we have no way of checking if this is real.

As for "others are calling in", these are anonymouse people who can say whatever they want. This includes making up random bull****.
Original post by NJA

I'm going by probability, while having a bank end its relationship with you for PR reasons is possible, the situation he describes sounds FAR more like he has been given a CIFAS or similar risk marker for some sort of misuse and is just trying to play it off.

Have you never noticed that out of all the people who join and post here 'My bank account was shut down! I have no idea why!' that with rare exceptions they know fine well why they got banned and it's because they are dodgy? Why would I afford dodgy Farage greater credibility? (I don't really take LBC seriously either, esp since he used to host there)
Original post by StriderHort
Have you never noticed that out of all the people who join and post here 'My bank account was shut down! I have no idea why!' that with rare exceptions they know fine well why they got banned and it's because they are dodgy? Why would I afford dodgy Farage greater credibility? (I don't really take LBC seriously either, esp since he used to host there)

The banks and the state are dodgy especially with all the dirty regulations they snuck in to control the peoples money that banks kept hushed up. As for the cifas markers where is our protection from them under data protection laws.

I find it funny happening to Nigel and the fake free speech union after plenty of other people have been mistreated by these financial businesses the state forces us to use. For example pay pal have been abusing customers for political reasons for ages.
BBC Business Editor Simon Jack reports that:

"Nigel Farage fell below the financial threshold required to hold an account at Coutts, the prestigious private bank for wealthy customers the BBC has been told.

It also understood that he was offered a normal account at Natwest which owns Coutts."

Source: https://twitter.com/BBCSimonJack/status/1676161715526836225

Well, well, well.
Original post by TheStupidMoon
The banks and the state are dodgy especially with all the dirty regulations they snuck in to control the peoples money that banks kept hushed up. As for the cifas markers where is our protection from them under data protection laws.

I find it funny happening to Nigel and the fake free speech union after plenty of other people have been mistreated by these financial businesses the state forces us to use. For example pay pal have been abusing customers for political reasons for ages.

Accusing banks of being dodgy with nothing else is too vague to discuss and the state aren't even involved in this conversation.

What specific concerns do you have with Cifas regarding data protection? Data protection legislation is robust and I've never known them to refuse legitimate data requests and surely you can't object to banks protecting themselves and other banks from fraud. 100s of people join here to indignantly ask why they got a Cifas marker when doing nothing wrong, and you know what? 99.9% they've done something wrong. I take that as telling evidence that Cifas is overall applying markers correctly.

I don't know why you mention Paypal as they are an entirely mickey mouse bank and not comparable to high street banking and you cannot provide a single example of 'the state' forcing you to use paypal like you are implying, can you?

...and obv now, shock & horror, we're being told this actually happened because Mr Farage's fancy premium bank told him he's simply no longer fancy or premium enough to bank with them. That's not being 'non personned' or 'de-banked' any more than not letting me join a fancy members only social club is 'starving me'.
Reply 49
Original post by Admit-One
BBC Business Editor Simon Jack reports that:

"Nigel Farage fell below the financial threshold required to hold an account at Coutts, the prestigious private bank for wealthy customers the BBC has been told.

It also understood that he was offered a normal account at Natwest which owns Coutts."

Source: https://twitter.com/BBCSimonJack/status/1676161715526836225

Well, well, well.

Well I for one am shocked.
So Farage’s account of events turned out to be horseshite.

I hope those who fell for Farage’s narrative use that as a learning opportunity and don’t repeat the same mistakes in the future.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Crazed cat lady

I hope those who fell for Farage’s narrative use that as a learning opportunity and don’t repeat the same mistakes in the future.

Are you living in 2019....?
Heads up - 2020 isn't going to be brill when you get there.
Original post by Quady
Are you living in 2019....?
Heads up - 2020 isn't going to be brill when you get there.

I live in hope that people can learn.

It is probably a naive hope.
Reply 53
It's good to hear now Nige isn't being funded by the EU gravytrain that his wealth has dipped enough to no longer be fetted by Coutts & Co.

I wonder if OP will automatically believe what the MSM are now saying about this story, or if they only believe the MSM when they regurgitate whatever Farage tells them?

I don't think that's 100% conclusive yet and we may never know for sure what banks he applied to, was rejected and why, but It's pretty safe to assume he's at it in some way.
Farage is doing what he does best: grifting.
Original post by StriderHort
Accusing banks of being dodgy with nothing else is too vague to discuss and the state aren't even involved in this conversation.

This isn't an isolated incident.Others have had their businesses or bank accounts tampered with or prevented from opening new ones.
The state is involved if the banks and other businesses are threatened in a way that is against the interests of their customers.

Here is a message from a shop that's stopped taking cash for gold and silver coins over guidelines not even real laws.

Do you accept cash?

no longer accepting cash payments at our trade counter.

Tightening regulations in compliance with HM Revenues & Customs anti-money-laundering guidelines, as well as a cultural decline in the amount of customers spending physical cash, has led us to this decision. We apologise for any inconvenience.

What specific concerns do you have with Cifas regarding data protection? Data protection legislation is robust and I've never known them to refuse legitimate data requests and surely you can't object to banks protecting themselves and other banks from fraud.

That scheme comes across as little better than a dubious blacklist where someone can be put on it with little evidence for anything.

I don't know why you mention Paypal as they are an entirely mickey mouse bank and not comparable to high street banking and you cannot provide a single example of 'the state' forcing you to use paypal like you are implying, can you?

Paypal is a popular method for people to buy and sell on the internet.
People are defacto forced to use Visa and Mastercard whom have acted in the same way as paypal.
Reply 58
It's like those times when your card won't accept a tap, so you have to insert it into the reader and put your pincode in. Except it's Farage and this is an example of him being oppressed.
Original post by Admit-One
A credible news source (current ownership aside) being referenced in the News & Current Affairs forum? I'm sorry, but I am going to have to lie down for a bit...

Okay I couldn't resist having a look first.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-brexit-eu-remain-b2366505.html

I must say Nigel, that's a very specifically worded denial.

"I must say Nigel, that's a very specifically worded denial." It's also utterly untrue, as Nigel Farage received 450k from Arron Banks in 2017 and banks is married to a Russian wife and has had at least three meetings with the Russian ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending