The Student Room Group

De-banked for expressing alternative social views

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Stychomythia
"I must say Nigel, that's a very specifically worded denial." It's also utterly untrue, as Nigel Farage received 450k from Arron Banks in 2017 and banks is married to a Russian wife and has had at least three meetings with the Russian ambassador.

Yup. Farage is a Putin-fancier if ever I saw one. What a stinker.
"I must say Nigel, that's a very specifically worded denial." It's also utterly untrue, as Nigel Farage received 450k from Arron Banks in 2017 and banks is married to a Russian wife and has had at least three meetings with the Russian ambassador.

All too easy for Nigel to forget the nationality of... Ekaterina Paderina.
Reply 62
Original post by Jingo7
Yup. Farage is a Putin-fancier if ever I saw one. What a stinker.

Of all the many reasons to loathe the ground he walks on, i feel whether he likes Putin or not is fairly far down the list compared to his official mission to lower the standard of living of the British.
Reply 63

As a matter of interest,

Original post by NJA
OK, I have read the above comments, I listened to LBC which discusses social and political matters and didn't hear any mention of it (of course I may have missed it), same for BBC news, which begs the question, how to people form their views? what information are they relying on? Do people just form an opinion based on certain media outlets and stick with that?

I watched Farage and my character judgement was that he was not lying, same with this reverend, de-banked by Yorkshire B.S.

Yesterdays Telegraph had an article.
If you can't read it, it reports that YBS admits to closing accounts if customers discriminate in any way.
They asked their customers for comments and given their pro-pride stance The Rev. expressed his belief that Transgenderism should not be taught to children. . . . at least that's my understanding of what happened, correct me if I'm wrong.

It further comments: "Whilst he (Farage) did not name the institution, it has previously been reported that he had a mortgage with Coutts, which is owned by NatWest."

My concern was that if Farage was right in saying 7 banks had refused him without explanation, then is it the case that all banks are now speaking with the same previously unspoken mind? . . . . meaning freedom of speech .. . what previous generations fought and died for . . . is seriously endangered because most people cannot operate in modern society without a bank account (they close the accounts of close family members too).

The Chancellor of the Exchequer has today come out strongly, at least if this Telegraph article is to be believed:

" . . . Jeremy Hunt, the Chancellor, is understood to be “deeply concerned” that overzealous lenders are closing down accounts because they disagree with customers’ opinions and has asked City minister Andrew Griffith to investigate the issue.
Whitehall sources said that results of a consultation on the subject will be published within weeks, after it was launched earlier this year in the wake of PayPal blocking the accounts of free speech groups. . .
. A senior Treasury source said: “It is absolutely a concern. No one should have their bank account denied on the grounds of freedom of expression. We expect to take action on this issue within weeks . . . ."

They explicitly stated it was because he's a 'pep' aka an ******** who could wreck their reputations. They are under no obligation to offer their services to him after all.
As to 'freedom of speech' what a croque of ****, what would that possibly have to do with it? Bar his half baked fibs on the matter.
Should probably read today's papers.
Original post by random_matt
Should probably read today's papers.

Oops.....just seen that. 😳
Business refuses to do business with individual. If you believe in free enterprise, you shouldn’t have a problem with that.
Reply 67
Should be legal but I think does show that no matter how much the left try to make themselves out to be the victim they are the ones with the power

“To know who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"

The west will wake up someday. In mainland europe with the strong support for the right from youth it is already happening.
Original post by patery
Should be legal but I think does show that no matter how much the left try to make themselves out to be the victim they are the ones with the power

“To know who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"

The west will wake up someday. In mainland europe with the strong support for the right from youth it is already happening.

While I agree with you that Farage is trying to make himself out to be a victim, he is hardly left wing.
Reply 69
Original post by Choreomania
While I agree with you that Farage is trying to make himself out to be a victim, he is hardly left wing.

Farage is making himself out to be the victim yes

my point is that the left are often the ones trying to pretend they are targeted all the time is my point yet I haven't heard anyones bank accounts getting shut down for supporting mutilating children
Original post by patery

And, yes, Coutts. The private banking and wealth management company, market towards high income earners. Clearly a left wing organisation following strict left wing principles.
Original post by patery
Farage is making himself out to be the victim yes

my point is that the left are often the ones trying to pretend they are targeted all the time is my point yet I haven't heard anyones bank accounts getting shut down for supporting mutilating children

Can you name these left wing figures who are complaining as loudly as Farage about not being allowed to bank with Coutts? And what are they doing to mutilate children?
Original post by SHallowvale
And, yes, Coutts. The private banking and wealth management company, market towards high income earners. Clearly a left wing organisation following strict left wing principles.

It is clearly a hotbed of revolutionary bolshevism masquerading as an exclusive private bank.
(edited 9 months ago)
I’m glad we found a way to make this thread even sillier.
Reply 74

the people aren't left wing

really the amount of people who ACTUALLY support the lefts in the UK is maybe 20% of the population

It's the greatest victory of the left that corporations are so scared of any repercussions or being "cancelled" and the effect that can have not from consumers but from other firms who are also acting in this same fear that they will do anything to ensure they are not associated with the right

Original post by Choreomania
Can you name these left wing figures who are complaining as loudly as Farage about not being allowed to bank with Coutts? And what are they doing to mutilate children?

The left is always complaining about issues that have been solved decades ago and yet they like being victims so will still act as if it is the reason they are losers and are broke as opposed to them just being lazy

"x is structurally opressed thats why the crime figures"

or "gender pay gap"
Original post by patery
It's the greatest victory of the left that corporations are so scared of any repercussions or being "cancelled" and the effect that can have not from consumers but from other firms who are also acting in this same fear that they will do anything to ensure they are not associated with the right

How is a private boutique bank going to get cancelled by "the left" when it exclusively services ultra high net worth individuals who are the pinnacle of free-market capitalism?
Original post by patery
the people aren't left wing

really the amount of people who ACTUALLY support the lefts in the UK is maybe 20% of the population

The left is always complaining about issues that have been solved decades ago and yet they like being victims so will still act as if it is the reason they are losers and are broke as opposed to them just being lazy

"x is structurally opressed thats why the crime figures"

or "gender pay gap"

I am sure a high income private bank for rich toffs is absolutely quivering at the thought that some left wing person out there might try to cancel them. They must be utterly terrified!
Reply 77
Original post by Plagioclase
How is a private boutique bank going to get cancelled by "the left" when it exclusively services ultra high net worth individuals who are the pinnacle of free-market capitalism?

In fairness, you do get high net worth leftists. Much less common but nevertheless.
Reply 78
Original post by Napp
In fairness, you do get high net worth leftists. Much less common but nevertheless.

the top 0.01% in the USA votes democratic HEAVILY

I am sure a high income private bank for rich toffs is absolutely quivering at the thought that some left wing person out there might try to cancel them. They must be utterly terrified!

so if you are saying that all bankers are right wing then why would they shut down farage if not for the fact that they fear reprucutions for allowing him to have an account

Original post by Plagioclase

because reputation is paramount

who cares most about reputation of everything including there bank and how the media portrays them?
Reply 79
Original post by patery
the top 0.01% in the USA votes democratic HEAVILY

Where did you get that percentage from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending