The Student Room Group

Advice

I am an introvert and I started working at my new retail job about a year ago. Whilst at the begginning it wasn’t great since I kept to myself the past few months I have really opened up and j enjoy working there. I have now finished uni, whilst battling my mental health and working at this retail job has really helped I guess as a sort of distraction. I am starting to look for roles that are more closely related to my degree but the idea of that daunts me with a retail job I am surrounded by people my age and with an office job I don’t think that would be the case. I am worried I am going to be left alone with my thoughts again and things are going to get worse. I have thought about potentially working one day at my retail job a week but work does not allow that because that would have been an ideal situation so I could work my office job and do retail. Please give me any advice on how to approach everything.
Original post by Confused2729372
I am an introvert and I started working at my new retail job about a year ago. Whilst at the begginning it wasn’t great since I kept to myself the past few months I have really opened up and j enjoy working there. I have now finished uni, whilst battling my mental health and working at this retail job has really helped I guess as a sort of distraction. I am starting to look for roles that are more closely related to my degree but the idea of that daunts me with a retail job I am surrounded by people my age and with an office job I don’t think that would be the case. I am worried I am going to be left alone with my thoughts again and things are going to get worse. I have thought about potentially working one day at my retail job a week but work does not allow that because that would have been an ideal situation so I could work my office job and do retail. Please give me any advice on how to approach everything.

Hi,

If you are very keen on keeping your retail job alongside your full time office job, then the best option for you would be to work on the weekends at the retail store. However, please be mindful of your work-life balance, as you don't want to end up being in a situation where you feel overwhelmed and it becomes difficult to manage everything.

And don't worry at all, you will meet people in your office who will really support you and help you settle. You won't feel as though you are on your own. There will always be friendly people.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
If you are very keen on keeping your retail job alongside your full time office job, then the best option for you would be to work on the weekends at the retail store. However, please be mindful of your work-life balance, as you don't want to end up being in a situation where you feel overwhelmed and it becomes difficult to manage everything.

And don't worry at all, you will meet people in your office who will really support you and help you settle. You won't feel as though you are on your own. There will always be friendly people.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi,

Unfortunately my current retail job doesn’t offer weekend only contracts which I am not sure why. Is there any way you would suggest me to go about this?
Hello!
I'm another on of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University..
I understand how this could cause you a lot of stress, however as stated above. I'm sure you'll meet people in your new job if you wanted to do something more closely related to your degree, have you discussed these concerns with your retail job? I'm sure that they can find alternative shifts for you to do there! Even if it means working a few hours here and there to ensure that you are still getting to see those who you have formed friendships with!

I'm sure whatever happens, you'll find people in any setting you go to that you'll connect with! You've got this!

Kind regards,
Courtney H

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending