The Student Room Group

work experience/volunteering?

hi everyone!
wondering in what way getting work experience/volunteering helps on your CV, and what types would be good to get and from where?
also, what ages do places tend to look for/accept?
does tutoring count and if so where would you advertise yourself to be a tutor, and do you need a certain qualification/skill level? and around what pay if any is expected?
thank you!
Hi!

In my experience, volunteering and work are one of the most important elements of a CV. Such experiences are a reflection of skills. In many places, you don’t even have to be of age, and it’s enough to be 16. The pay is lower, but the knowledge gained is invaluable. You can find a job in a variety of ways. Visit nearby places and ask for available positions. Look through the websites. Maybe you are interested in the work & travel programme? Such an experience is doubly valuable because it demonstrates courage. You can find a lot of such programmes on the Internet. When it comes to volunteering, the situation is similar. Check out local organisations or visit websites such as https://www.volunteerhq.org.

Tutoring is also a work option and allows for skills development, which is why it will look great on your CV. Ask the neighbourhood if anyone needs help or if they know anyone who needs it? That's very easy way to find customers. I suspect there are also plenty of sites where you can advertise yourself. Some will require qualifications, others won't. Try where you can because in that way you'll increase your chances.

Normally, you don't get money for volunteering, but you get money for work. Your employer must offer you at least a national minimum wage.

I hope I could help. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask them :biggrin:

Take care,

Julia :h:
Original post by fernducko
hi everyone!
wondering in what way getting work experience/volunteering helps on your CV, and what types would be good to get and from where?
also, what ages do places tend to look for/accept?
does tutoring count and if so where would you advertise yourself to be a tutor, and do you need a certain qualification/skill level? and around what pay if any is expected?
thank you!

Yes work experience can look great on your CV.
You can gain various skills and experience through volunteering, such as communication skills, time management, working tills/handling money, dealing with the public, working with animals/children (depending on where you do your volunteering). All of these you can mention on your CV/at interviews. It also shows that you have the get up and go and you have actually gone out there and done something. And you have some experience, even if it doesnt directly relate to the job you are applying for.
You can also use someone from the place where you volunteer as a reference for future jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending