The Student Room Group

Shall I drop out?

So, idk if it’s just cos I’m having a breakdown rn but I don’t know if it’s worth doing my degree anymore.

I do aerospace engineering and I failed 3 modules in my second semester exams. I need to resist them next month. I don’t know if it’s worth continuing with the degree at this point because I did study really hard and still managed to fail 3 modules.

Also, say if I don’t drop out, anyone got any study tips?
Reply 1
having a breakdown right now combined with your last sentence makes for a good reason to put off this decision for now until you're in a clearer mind

university isn't for everyone, but most people at university hack it eventually (even in spite of struggling at least some of the time - i failed a class too and almost failed two others)

lots of people feel like giving up at least once and that's okay

at this point i'd say give yourself some breathing room and when you're ready, start looking at the options you have to recover your grades for the future classes and years
Reply 2
Original post by a.plane
So, idk if it’s just cos I’m having a breakdown rn but I don’t know if it’s worth doing my degree anymore.

I do aerospace engineering and I failed 3 modules in my second semester exams. I need to resist them next month. I don’t know if it’s worth continuing with the degree at this point because I did study really hard and still managed to fail 3 modules.

Also, say if I don’t drop out, anyone got any study tips?

Are you in first year?Are you getting any help with your MH?Do you think this is the right degree for you?
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
having a breakdown right now combined with your last sentence makes for a good reason to put off this decision for now until you're in a clearer mind

university isn't for everyone, but most people at university hack it eventually (even in spite of struggling at least some of the time - i failed a class too and almost failed two others)

lots of people feel like giving up at least once and that's okay

at this point i'd say give yourself some breathing room and when you're ready, start looking at the options you have to recover your grades for the future classes and years

Thank you 😊
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
Are you in first year?Are you getting any help with your MH?Do you think this is the right degree for you?

2nd year (3rd in September hopefully)
What’s an MH?
Reply 5
Original post by a.plane
2nd year (3rd in September hopefully)
What’s an MH?

It means your mental health. Have you seen your GP and explained how you are feeling.
I would say its worth completing the summer resit then seeing where your at. From a financial perspective with first year you’ve shot your bullet so you might as well give it time to see what you hit in full (given SFE funding is not infinite).

You should certainly change your approach between now and resits, I would heavily focus on problem sheets/tutorial examples as well as past exam papers..
Reply 7
Original post by Scotney
It means your mental health. Have you seen your GP and explained how you are feeling.

Ah. Mental health = ****. Nope haven’t seen my GP.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
I would say its worth completing the summer resit then seeing where your at. From a financial perspective with first year you’ve shot your bullet so you might as well give it time to see what you hit in full (given SFE funding is not infinite).

You should certainly change your approach between now and resits, I would heavily focus on problem sheets/tutorial examples as well as past exam papers..

Thanks I’ll think about it
Reply 9
Original post by Scotney

I would recommend you do so.Sooner you get some help soonest mended.
Continuing is better than dropping out. First have an honest talk with your personal tutor or year tutor. They will be able to better guide you in recognising the resources you have at hand and the steps you can take.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest