The Student Room Group

Getting a job with no retail experience

Hi,

I have just finished Year 11 and I am looking for a summer/part time job, however I am having a lot of trouble getting any response from employers about a position.
I have applied for around 20 roles, but almost all of them have either not responded or rejected me due to a lack of experience. Does anyone know of a certain position that is more open to younger employees, or a way to have your CV stand out to employers despite having no previous jobs?
Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by k5144
Hi,

I have just finished Year 11 and I am looking for a summer/part time job, however I am having a lot of trouble getting any response from employers about a position.
I have applied for around 20 roles, but almost all of them have either not responded or rejected me due to a lack of experience. Does anyone know of a certain position that is more open to younger employees, or a way to have your CV stand out to employers despite having no previous jobs?
Thank you!

Call in stores and ask for any available vacancies.

You need to find stores that have phone numbers beginning with '020'.

E.G. Saimsburys Local

That's how I found my job at 17.

It should be quicker for you if you apply for full time role.

Just put something that you do to show you got experience.

Like selling your used items in second hand market. Better than nothing.
Original post by k5144
Hi,

Thank you!

It's not about having retail experience, your CV needs to show evidence you have the skills needed in a retail role. So you should make a list of retail skills, and then work out how you can show you have those skills. That will make your CV more effective.

Also, always write a covering letter that explains why you want to do this sort of work, why you want to work for that specific employer, and highlight your top 3 skills for the job.
Original post by k5144
Hi,

Thank you!

Fast food places seem to take on a lot of students.
They might be easier to get into as they seem to require a bit less in the way of experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending