The Student Room Group

Stuck between Jobs

I am going to be a final year CS student this coming September and have left my job in retail where i worked almost 2 years, it was not my choice to leave, but it was because of the building refurbishment that has caused myself and 40 other colleagues to have been made redundant.

I have since been applying for other jobs and have been successful, I was offered a job in retail and they literally offered me the job the day after my interview it's 20 hours a week and they informed me that they would work around whatever my university timetable would be - I am really grateful and happy to have received this offer but I am feeling mixed emotions because there is a high chance that I may be successful on another application I did for an office job (I've passed the tests and did well on a lengthy form, there are also a lot of positions available).

Both jobs are for large corporations, the retail job will be great for working around my uni timetable, whereas the office job would go well with my degree and help me gain experience, plus have double the salary the retail job offers. The only disadvantages for the office job will be the fact that my schedule will probably be more hectic and it will be stressful to keep up with along with my degree.

I know this is thinking far ahead and I truly am grateful for my success, but should I just see how things go and base things off that?
Reply 1
Original post by Bean_cat
I am going to be a final year CS student this coming September and have left my job in retail where i worked almost 2 years, it was not my choice to leave, but it was because of the building refurbishment that has caused myself and 40 other colleagues to have been made redundant.

I have since been applying for other jobs and have been successful, I was offered a job in retail and they literally offered me the job the day after my interview it's 20 hours a week and they informed me that they would work around whatever my university timetable would be - I am really grateful and happy to have received this offer but I am feeling mixed emotions because there is a high chance that I may be successful on another application I did for an office job (I've passed the tests and did well on a lengthy form, there are also a lot of positions available).

Both jobs are for large corporations, the retail job will be great for working around my uni timetable, whereas the office job would go well with my degree and help me gain experience, plus have double the salary the retail job offers. The only disadvantages for the office job will be the fact that my schedule will probably be more hectic and it will be stressful to keep up with along with my degree.

I know this is thinking far ahead and I truly am grateful for my success, but should I just see how things go and base things off that?

If I were at your place, I would've taken the shot for the second option as it sounds more appealing to me though it could stretch me a lot. Another point is it's related to your course which will definitely boost your CV for graduate roles.
Reply 2
Original post by Meheraj
If I were at your place, I would've taken the shot for the second option as it sounds more appealing to me though it could stretch me a lot. Another point is it's related to your course which will definitely boost your CV for graduate roles.

Thanks for your reply! :smile:
The thing is, my application for the office job is still being processed; others have also advised me to pursue the office job if I get it and not bother with the retail one, does this seem fair to do?
Your points are valid tbh and they're really good, they would help my career a lot because I could actually be able to exercise my skills I learnt from my degree in that position.
Reply 3
Original post by Bean_cat
Thanks for your reply! :smile:
The thing is, my application for the office job is still being processed; others have also advised me to pursue the office job if I get it and not bother with the retail one, does this seem fair to do?
Your points are valid tbh and they're really good, they would help my career a lot because I could actually be able to exercise my skills I learnt from my degree in that position.

You're very welcome! :smile:

I know it might not be fair to keep the retailing one waiting for you. So, if you're confident that you will get the office job, it wouldn't be bad waiting for some time because it might be worth what you didn't think of. Or can you ask the retail one to give you a few days so that you can make a decision?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending