The Student Room Group

Why can’t I get a job at 17?

I’m currently 17 years old and i cannot get a job. I’ve got no experience and everywhere that offers me an interview declines me because of my lack of experience but how can I get experience if anyone’s not giving me a chance, even though i’ve got a years experience of volunteering in a charity shop. I’ve applied to small businesses as well as big chains.
Reply 1
Original post by Deathologist150
I’m currently 17 years old and i cannot get a job. I’ve got no experience and everywhere that offers me an interview declines me because of my lack of experience but how can I get experience if anyone’s not giving me a chance, even though i’ve got a years experience of volunteering in a charity shop. I’ve applied to small businesses as well as big chains.

being under 18 can be a big factor, as many jobs are already off the table (e.g. working in a pub, working in retail as you'll need to serve alcohol, jobs that require you to work late). getting a job at the minute is very hard overall, due to the cost of living crisis, most companies are putting off hiring anyone for a while. entry level positions are also extremely competitive as most people will be trying to apply to them and therefore there'll be more candidates for them to chose from.

i would just keep trying, apply to anywhere and everywhere.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2

Have you applied for anything in retailing like Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsbury's, boots etc etc as they are always looking for staff.

Don't worry about not having experience as training will be proven.
Due to you being under 18 at the moment you'll be restricted to certain things until you are 18.
If you are serving on checkouts and someone has alcohol all you do is call your team leader or supervisor to authorise the sell and perhaps ask for id.

Use any experience you have with your application process okay.

Person in reply 1 to you is wrong about you unable to work in retail because of you having to sell alcohol etc but you're fine to apply for those places.

Team leader and stand in supervisor as required with Tesco.
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
Have you applied for anything in retailing like Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsbury's, boots etc etc as they are always looking for staff.

Don't worry about not having experience as training will be proven.
Due to you being under 18 at the moment you'll be restricted to certain things until you are 18.
If you are serving on checkouts and someone has alcohol all you do is call your team leader or supervisor to authorise the sell and perhaps ask for id.

Use any experience you have with your application process okay.

Person in reply 1 to you is wrong about you unable to work in retail because of you having to sell alcohol etc but you're fine to apply for those places.

Team leader and stand in supervisor as required with Tesco.

they'd be able to work in retail but if you have on your CV that you're currently in education, they might be able to figure out that you're under 18. they might have a slight bias towards people that are over 18 for this reason.
Reply 4
Original post by james310
they'd be able to work in retail but if you have on your CV that you're currently in education, they might be able to figure out that you're under 18. they might have a slight bias towards people that are over 18 for this reason.

Unfortunately you are wrong about the bias towards young people.

Obviously they do know what age they are when they apply and it doesn't make any difference as they will still be able to get a job if they pass everything required.

I have sat in interviews with those who are between 16 - 18 as part of supervision duties and majority of them are keen to get a job in retail.
So how come there's a lot of young people working in retail more than the older ones.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Tracey_W
Unfortunately you are wrong about the bias towards young people.

Obviously they do know what age they are when they apply and it doesn't make any difference as they will still be able to get a job if they pass everything required.

I have sat in interviews with those who are between 16 - 18 as part of supervision duties and majority of them are keen to get a job in retail.
So how come there's a lot of young people working in retail more than the older ones.

...and I have sat in interviews where they have been reluctant to hire me as I'm under 18 and therefore unable to approve alcohol sales.

So, what now.

It can take time to get a job, but eventually you will get one.
Try places like mcdonalds. They take on a lot of students. I used to work there myself.
The supermarkets seem to take on a lot as well.
Original post by james310
being under 18 can be a big factor, as many jobs are already off the table (e.g. working in a pub, working in retail as you'll need to serve alcohol, jobs that require you to work late). getting a job at the minute is very hard overall, due to the cost of living crisis, most companies are putting off hiring anyone for a while. entry level positions are also extremely competitive as most people will be trying to apply to them and therefore there'll be more candidates for them to chose from.

i would just keep trying, apply to anywhere and everywhere.

Under 18's can work in most retail jobs.
If it is a place where alcohol is sold, then all they need to if you are serving on the tills/checkouts and someone has alcohol all you do is call your team leader or supervisor to authorise the sell. This happens in most places. And a lot of retail shops dont sell alcohol anyway e.g. clothes shops, wh smiths, boots, fast food places etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending