The Student Room Group

Border Force Applications 2023

Hi everyone! So I have received a provisional offer for Border Force Officer at Heathrow and have accepted it. Does anyone know roughly how long the pre-employment/vetting stage takes and what happens after you’ve passed? In terms of, do you get a formal job offer straight after?I am currently employed and I have an 8 week notice period. I haven’t told my boss I am leaving yet, so I just want to know roughly how long I’m going to have to wait to give my boss notice too.Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya, do you know what the security level is? I think Home Office are normally Security Clearance which normally takes anywhere between 1-3 months depending on their staffing resources. Could be quicker but that’s the timeframe you’re normally told.
Reply 2
Original post by Bobthebob11
Hiya, do you know what the security level is? I think Home Office are normally Security Clearance which normally takes anywhere between 1-3 months depending on their staffing resources. Could be quicker but that’s the timeframe you’re normally told.

I have no idea, but definitely SC and additional checks they say. I uploaded a copy of my current enhanced dbs check so I’m not sure if that will speed it up a bit or not, but I guess I’ll see!

I am so excited!
Reply 3
I applied last year September to work at Heathrow but only received the formal job offer this May 2023. So nearly 8 months, but thankfully they scheduled my start date according to my availability/holidays, giving me a month to work my notice period. As long as you inform them of your notice period when they contact you to offer you the role, from what I have heard, they can work around it. If you’ve already been offered the role, I would think probably 2-3 months to have your vetting all sorted. Some people get it faster, others like me it was months later , but hold on on giving your notice until you actually formally accept a starting date with the signed contract.
Reply 4
Original post by Mazz1234
I applied last year September to work at Heathrow but only received the formal job offer this May 2023. So nearly 8 months, but thankfully they scheduled my start date according to my availability/holidays, giving me a month to work my notice period. As long as you inform them of your notice period when they contact you to offer you the role, from what I have heard, they can work around it. If you’ve already been offered the role, I would think probably 2-3 months to have your vetting all sorted. Some people get it faster, others like me it was months later , but hold on on giving your notice until you actually formally accept a starting date with the signed contract.

Thank you so much for this it’s really helpful! I will do as you suggest and wait for a formal offer first. :smile:
Reply 5
I have been put on Reserve list for Heathrow
Any one else on reserve list?
Please update me on when you get an offer from reserve list
Reply 6
Glad someone started a thread on this matter. Obviously by its nature the vetting process is quite secretive and not much can be revealed and dependent on circumstances. I too am in the middle of the vetting process for a Heathrow Border Force position. The initial checks (BPSS) following a provisional offer took me two weeks, and I have now been waiting five weeks for my SC vetting to process. I have read and heard that vetting minimum is 6 weeks but can take up 12 weeks which are dependent on so many different personal factors. They constantly remind applicants not to quit their current jobs until an official offer is granted. Therefore I wouldn't worry too much about notice periods affecting anything.
The following is from the National Audit Office press release January 2023:
The NAO’s report found that UKSV has not met its targets since August 2021 for CTC and SC clearances and since May 2021 for DV clearances. UKSV aims to complete 85% of CTC/SC clearances in 25 days, and 85% of DV clearances within 95 days. Processing of CTC/SC clearances last met the target in July 2021 and fell to a low of 15% of clearances cleared in 25 days in September 2022. For DV clearances, UKSV last met its target in May 2021 with performance falling to just 7% of clearances completed within 95 days in April 2022. UKSV’s performance on priority clearances, where departments can request an accelerated process for up to 3% of their clearance requests, has been closer to its target level and has exceeded a reduced target level in 2022-23.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Hi I’m currently filling out my PST Health questionnaire and it’s asking for a job advert reference number? But I’ve looked in the advert and there’s no reference number. I applied through the home office website in April. Can anyone help?
Reply 8
Hi guys, I got a provisional offer today could someone confirm for the PST health questionnaire we go straight to section 2 correct ? And once done do we send the whole form to the email as it is just with our info in jt
Reply 9
Original post by Zakidge
Hi guys, I got a provisional offer today could someone confirm for the PST health questionnaire we go straight to section 2 correct ? And once done do we send the whole form to the email as it is just with our info in jt

Hi did you apply for Heathrow through home office website? Which month did you apply?
And were you on a reserve list?
Reply 10
Original post by Incencin
Hi did you apply for Heathrow through home office website? Which month did you apply?
And were you on a reserve list?

Hi, I got the provision for Folkestone Europe I applied January time. I’ve been on the reserve list for heathrow since October but won’t be needing to be on it no more
Reply 11
Did anyone hear back yesterday for the North region?
Reply 12
Original post by ladybird97

Yes, I had my interview in February. Yesterday I was informed I am on the reserve lists until November for both the regular and apprenticeship positions.
Reply 13
Original post by ladybird97

I got put on the reserve list for Scotland
When you have a provisional offer does that mean you’ll be given a role? Or could you still go on reserve list? X
Reply 15
Original post by ellierose666
When you have a provisional offer does that mean you’ll be given a role? Or could you still go on reserve list? X

It means as long as you pass the vetting you get the job. You defiantly won’t get put on reserve list if you get a provisional offer
Reply 16
Original post by Zakidge
It means as long as you pass the vetting you get the job. You defiantly won’t get put on reserve list if you get a provisional offer

Hi, I am currently going through security checks and filling out the vetting questionnaire. What would be the odds of failing? I'm just nervous as I had depression and anxiety back in 2019 and was on meds but haven't been on them since then.

I'm just super nervous!
Reply 17
Original post by xcuriouser
Hi, I am currently going through security checks and filling out the vetting questionnaire. What would be the odds of failing? I'm just nervous as I had depression and anxiety back in 2019 and was on meds but haven't been on them since then.

I'm just super nervous!

Honestly speaking, I think the SC results come down to a wide range of things. Yes, they will likely consider one’s physical and mental state of being, but they will put it into perspective against what this role will demand of us. I don’t think you would be disqualified for something you had to take for your own health and well-being, I’d like to think they would have more sense than that in their considerations. I feel that as long as you are honest with them in regards to your answers, you’ve not committed any crimes or offences and you’ve had a decent report back from your references, something you were prescribed almost 4 years ago which you no longer take wouldn’t be what stops you from obtaining this role. Don’t be nervous, wait to hear back from them first before you worry over this.

This isn’t much of an answer but I hope it helps. I’m sure we have all been there if not for this, then for some other aspect of the application. Best of luck :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Mazz1234
Honestly speaking, I think the SC results come down to a wide range of things. Yes, they will likely consider one’s physical and mental state of being, but they will put it into perspective against what this role will demand of us. I don’t think you would be disqualified for something you had to take for your own health and well-being, I’d like to think they would have more sense than that in their considerations. I feel that as long as you are honest with them in regards to your answers, you’ve not committed any crimes or offences and you’ve had a decent report back from your references, something you were prescribed almost 4 years ago which you no longer take wouldn’t be what stops you from obtaining this role. Don’t be nervous, wait to hear back from them first before you worry over this.

This isn’t much of an answer but I hope it helps. I’m sure we have all been there if not for this, then for some other aspect of the application. Best of luck :smile:

Exactly this @xcuriouser even with a criminal record if it’s not something really bad and you have some sort of reason behind it, it isn’t the end of the world
Reply 19
I'm on the reserve list for the North Region anyone know what the liklihood of being appointed from that is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending