The Student Room Group

Need help on deciding a major, Physics or EEE?

Hi there, I'm in yr 12 and still waiting for my AS grades coming in August. My Alevels are FM, math, physics and computer science. I really enjoy learning about physics and math.etc. I've achieved a few gold and silver medals (in olympiads, ukmt, uclid) in phy and math but nothing really related to engineering. The thing is I have already spent so much time preparing to apply for physics (readings, lecture, summerschools.etc), and I only recently started to struggled between physics and eng since I feel like eng suits me better. (I like doing practical stuffs, robotics & arduino.etc)

Can anyone tell is the 3year (perhaps 4) yr physics major really worth it? cuz I realized If I go with physics I'm kind of stuck with it for the next 5yrs and I don't know if I have enough enthusiasm to stick with the subject.

Another concerns I have is I only have a few month left before submitting the application and do I need to have hand-on experience (personal projects, internship.etc) to apply for electronic engineering? or is proving I am capable doing math and physics enough? I could really use some suggestion!

p.s I'm thinking of applying for ucl, icl, southampton for now, what other school would you recommend for EEE?
Original post by 6ss&1movie_lin
Hi there, I'm in yr 12 and still waiting for my AS grades coming in August. My Alevels are FM, math, physics and computer science. I really enjoy learning about physics and math.etc. I've achieved a few gold and silver medals (in olympiads, ukmt, uclid) in phy and math but nothing really related to engineering. The thing is I have already spent so much time preparing to apply for physics (readings, lecture, summerschools.etc), and I only recently started to struggled between physics and eng since I feel like eng suits me better. (I like doing practical stuffs, robotics & arduino.etc)

Can anyone tell is the 3year (perhaps 4) yr physics major really worth it? cuz I realized If I go with physics I'm kind of stuck with it for the next 5yrs and I don't know if I have enough enthusiasm to stick with the subject.

Another concerns I have is I only have a few month left before submitting the application and do I need to have hand-on experience (personal projects, internship.etc) to apply for electronic engineering? or is proving I am capable doing math and physics enough? I could really use some suggestion!

p.s I'm thinking of applying for ucl, icl, southampton for now, what other school would you recommend for EEE?

First, can I ask where in the world you are at the moment? England, Wales, another country? Reason I ask is because AS qualifications work a bit differently depending on the place you study them.

Second, all the preparation you will have done for a physics application is still easily applicable to EEE in a number of ways. So you can still include a lot of these elements in a personal statement. Hands on experience will help your application, but it isn't a deal-breaker. If the university's websites don't mention it then it isn't required.

It sounds to be like your heart is set on EEE but you are doubting yourself. My only other question: do you have any goals for after your degree?

Quick Reply

Latest