The Student Room Group

FIFA Women's World Cup 2023

Scroll to see replies

:yeah:
Reply 21
Thought Spain better overall. Great technical ability on the ball.

Spain scored a lovely goal, missed a penalty, hit the post and created plenty of chances.
My, my! looks like that the interest in women's football came back when England is in the final.

Original post by Zerforax
(...)

Disgrace that Sunak and Prince William refused to travel to watch the final. Obviously would've if it was the men's final.

It is what it is: Football still seems to be a domain for men. Some people will never change their mind.

Original post by Talkative Toad
That game wasn't good, it was boring and England didn't play well in my opinion.

The most matches I watched now and then for a moment seemed to be boring.
Original post by Kallisto
Three weeks gone and Germany performed badly! but the European champion England is in the final!

@Driving_Mad
@Zerforax
@Mohammed80

Anyone who cares? England is in the final!

The funny thing is that the Spanish manager didn’t have the support of the team because of his actions last year and almost got sacked. He couldn’t pick 12 players from the last tournament because they didn’t want to play for him and they somehow won.
Original post by Driving_Mad
The funny thing is that the Spanish manager didn’t have the support of the team because of his actions last year and almost got sacked. He couldn’t pick 12 players from the last tournament because they didn’t want to play for him and they somehow won.

In other words: The Spanish squad did not compete with the best players in that tournament. It is really a nice fun fact.
Commiserations England, I'm sure the lionesses will win someday. I must say though that Earps sticking her tongue out at the Spanish and saying ''f**k off'' after she saved the penalty was disgraceful and showed such poor sportswomanship (notwithstanding many saying the penalty should have been retaken due to her not being on the line). In any case, ¡Vamos España y olé Olga! ¡¡Yo soy español español español!!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Driving_Mad

That information about the Spanish manager goes back to after last year European championship and about 15 of the team top players refused to play while he was in charge but he's probably just proved to everyone back in Spain that backed him he was right about his tactics.

Spain are currently under 17 and 20 world champions, and about 8 of the team on the pitch today for them were part of bacarona recent European woman champions League winners back in May.

Well done Spain.
Olga Carmona (WC goalscorer) learned of her father’s death after the final.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/ap-spain-madrid-spanish-twitter-b2396336.html

Thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.
Reply 28
Original post by Tracey_W
That information about the Spanish manager goes back to after last year European championship and about 15 of the team top players refused to play while he was in charge but he's probably just proved to everyone back in Spain that backed him he was right about his tactics.

Spain are currently under 17 and 20 world champions, and about 8 of the team on the pitch today for them were part of bacarona recent European woman champions League winners back in May.

Well done Spain.

Did they win because of the manager or inspite of him?
Reply 29
Original post by Zerforax
Did they win because of the manager or inspite of him?

Could be a bit of both as the team apparently had issues with how he was doing things 😕 but dispite this they still won the cup.
Reply 30
Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales has apologised for kissing Jenni Hermoso on the lips after Spain won the Women's World Cup.

Rubiales kissed the Spain forward during the presentation ceremony following the team's 1-0 win over England in Sunday's final.

"I didn't like it," Hermoso said on Instagram, but a statement released later on her behalf defended Rubiales.

On Monday, Rubiales said: "I was completely wrong, I have to admit it."

He added: "It was without bad intention at a time with a lot of excitement. In the moment, we saw it as natural, but outside a commotion has formed.

"I have to apologise, learn from this, and understand that when you are president you have to be more careful."

Rubiales had been criticised by some Spanish government ministers and come under fire on social media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66568226

Crazy..

Quick Reply

Latest