The Student Room Group

Acne

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to me and could help me out? :smile:

I've had severe acne since I was 10, and I'm now 18 and it's still here. I have learned to keep going and try not to let it get me down, but I can't shake a feeling of being less deserving and disgusting because of my skin.

It used to be on my forehead for the first couple years, then my cheeks for a couple years, and now it's mostly on my chin, neck and back. I have tried numerous treatments ie salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics, and I'm currently on my 4th type of birth control (as well as having an effective face wash and aloe vera gel). I have been using retinol for the past year or so and it definitely helps controlling the acne, but there is still room for improvement.

I eat pretty well (but have difficulty with food because of a history of EDs and restriction), and always change my pillow cases and take cold showers haha. I have also spoken to GPs and gotten through to a dermatologist after a seven month wait who did nothing.

I don't know what else to try really, could anyone help? Has anyone else been in this situation?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to me and could help me out? :smile:

I've had severe acne since I was 10, and I'm now 18 and it's still here. I have learned to keep going and try not to let it get me down, but I can't shake a feeling of being less deserving and disgusting because of my skin.

It used to be on my forehead for the first couple years, then my cheeks for a couple years, and now it's mostly on my chin, neck and back. I have tried numerous treatments ie salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics, and I'm currently on my 4th type of birth control (as well as having an effective face wash and aloe vera gel). I have been using retinol for the past year or so and it definitely helps controlling the acne, but there is still room for improvement.

I eat pretty well (but have difficulty with food because of a history of EDs and restriction), and always change my pillow cases and take cold showers haha. I have also spoken to GPs and gotten through to a dermatologist after a seven month wait who did nothing.

I don't know what else to try really, could anyone help? Has anyone else been in this situation?

Yh ive been through the exact same thing as u, its really fustrating because i cant do things that involve taking of my shirt because i just have bad acne. Its nice to talk to someone whos in the same boat atleast

Quick Reply

Latest