The Student Room Group

How to get rid of acne or hypopigmentation?

I have seen many videos and products but I wouldn't know what would work unless I tried it and it could end up being a waste of money. How can you make sure you find the right products for your face? I don't even know what it is, like is it even hypopigmentation?
retinol and sunscreen (get a Korean one with a PA rating as well as SPF)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
retinol and sunscreen (get a Korean one with a PA rating as well as SPF)
Sorry I meant hyperpigmentation not hypopigmentation
Roaccutane is the only medical treatment on the market that targets the root cause of acne: over active sebaceous glands.
Try a low GI diet. Some acne is triggered by spikes in blood sugar caused by high GI foods. It's not the easiest thing to do- you basically have to ditch all refined carbs, sugar. I also gave up dairy. It actually meant I was eating a much healthier diet- loads of veg, certain fruits, nuts, seeds, meat and fish, wholemeal pasta, brown rice, swap normal spuds for sweet potatoes etc. The only bread I ate was wholemeal but I limited it as much as possible (just the odd wrap for lunch). It took a lot of willpower but it was so worth it to rid myself of the awful acne i had for years. It was the only thing that worked for me. I tried every type of skin product, a low dose antibiotic (which did help but only while I took it). Loads of research on the Internet linking high GI diet to acne. Good luck.
Can I urge OP not to listen to the ********.
Acne is not caused by diet, sleep, or by not spending 3 hours a day with cucumbers on your face.

It's caused by over active sebaceous glands producing too much sebum, thus causing an increase in bacteria on the skin which feed off of the sebum.

Go to your doctor and get on the pathway of isotretinoin therapy.
Original post by mathperson
Can I urge OP not to listen to the ********.
Acne is not caused by diet, sleep, or by not spending 3 hours a day with cucumbers on your face.
It's caused by over active sebaceous glands producing too much sebum, thus causing an increase in bacteria on the skin which feed off of the sebum.
Go to your doctor and get on the pathway of isotretinoin therapy.

I didn't say it was guaranteed for everyone, I said it worked for me. I suggested the OP "try" it.
But hey, try Roaccutane by all means- but you might want to check the side effects first.
Original post by Anonymous #3
I didn't say it was guaranteed for everyone, I said it worked for me. I suggested the OP "try" it.
But hey, try Roaccutane by all means- but you might want to check the side effects first.
Having been on high-dose Roaccutane for 9 months, I'm fully aware of the side effects. One of the side effects was that my acne was cured.
But hey, if you'd prefer to spend years sat there with cucumbers on your face in the hope that doing so might reduce sebum production (it won't), that's your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest