The Student Room Group

Want to stay in my current town despite my parents' objection

My parents argued there's no career prospect in my current town in eastern Scotland. I want to stay because I love the town, especially the multitude of medieval monuments overseeing gigantic beaches lining a milelong coastal path. Whether I can complete my currently faltering PG course is another matter. It's hard to find somewhere like my town in the UK. I also have friends here who are much younger than me and have not even finished their undergrad - not close but still in touch to some extent.

I am de facto jobless and they are the source of finance. The alternative would be to live on benefits, whose applications may not easily be approved. I have the impression that I am blackmailed by them and denied necessary freedom of choice.

Whether there's hope in the town, it's not up to them who aren't even living here to decide. This also makes me dread my lack of financial independence which contributes to the current situation. I am a disabled guy with limited workability and recently applied for Adult Disability Payment, pending decision - didn't tell anyone except 2 friends - also facing the threat of homelessness due to the need to move out of my current apartment in late August. Too much to say, but one thing for sure: Life is, indeed, tough for disabled guys.
Original post by Anonymous
My parents argued there's no career prospect in my current town in eastern Scotland. I want to stay because I love the town, especially the multitude of medieval monuments overseeing gigantic beaches lining a milelong coastal path. Whether I can complete my currently faltering PG course is another matter. It's hard to find somewhere like my town in the UK. I also have friends here who are much younger than me and have not even finished their undergrad - not close but still in touch to some extent.

I am de facto jobless and they are the source of finance. The alternative would be to live on benefits, whose applications may not easily be approved. I have the impression that I am blackmailed by them and denied necessary freedom of choice.

Whether there's hope in the town, it's not up to them who aren't even living here to decide. This also makes me dread my lack of financial independence which contributes to the current situation. I am a disabled guy with limited workability and recently applied for Adult Disability Payment, pending decision - didn't tell anyone except 2 friends - also facing the threat of homelessness due to the need to move out of my current apartment in late August. Too much to say, but one thing for sure: Life is, indeed, tough for disabled guys.

Depending on your disability, have you considered remote work?
Reply 2
Depending on your disability, have you considered remote work?

Yes. I am an eBay seller myself and not earning much, like 200 quid a month nowhere enough to pay a month of rent.
Yes. I am an eBay seller myself and not earning much, like 200 quid a month nowhere enough to pay a month of rent.

When I said remote work, I meant something like full time work with a company but working remotely e.g. virtual assistant, digital marketer, digital designer, UX designer, programmer; someone who regularly works away from the office.

Ecommerce and arbitrage of used goods whilst can earn quite a bit, they usually involve quite a bit of risk and are more like side hustles than remote work. I wouldn't really consider looking into it until you have substantial capital (say well into the 6 figure range at least) before considering making it a full time thing.
Reply 4
When I said remote work, I meant something like full time work with a company but working remotely e.g. virtual assistant, digital marketer, digital designer, UX designer, programmer; someone who regularly works away from the office.

Ecommerce and arbitrage of used goods whilst can earn quite a bit, they usually involve quite a bit of risk and are more like side hustles than remote work. I wouldn't really consider looking into it until you have substantial capital (say well into the 6 figure range at least) before considering making it a full time thing.

Yes, you are very right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending