The Student Room Group

Driving license and employment

If someone lied to an employer saying they don't have a drivers license even though they did, could employers find out??
Reply 1
why would they lie about not having a driving licence? usually having one is seen as an extra skill.
Reply 2
Original post by Spelunker
why would they lie about not having a driving licence? usually having one is seen as an extra skill.

Maybe because of points on their license.
Reply 3
Original post by Boig3488
Maybe because of points on their license.

they could check it, but they would have to ask for your consent first. I'd imagine they would do this for jobs that involve driving but if they said they didn't have a license I assume driving isn't part of the job.
Reply 4
they could check it, but they would have to ask for your consent first. I'd imagine they would do this for jobs that involve driving but if they said they didn't have a license I assume driving isn't part of the job.

Some jobs don't have driving as an essential requirement, they would just prefer it if an employee had a driving license since it isnt a requirement but is considered as something additional.

Could they find out if someone said they didnt have one even though they did?? Because to access someones driving license, you would usually need their details such as license number etc.. But if someone said they didnt have a drivers license, they wouldn't tell them their drivers license number. So this means that employers cannot check, right??
Yes, they can find out…. Perhaps by a slip of the tongue and you tell them. Perhaps by seeing you out driving one day.

No employer likes finding out someone has lied to them… it means you can’t trust them.

You can either do nothing…. Even if you mention at some point they may not connect it with your application and, even if they did you can just say “oh, I recently passed”

Or, you can book a day off work to “take your driving test” and tell them that you passed…. Perhaps after your points have expired if you’re that concerned.

Or, If ever asked, you just say “yes I can drive” and if they mention this disparity you can just say “really, did I tick the wrong box on the application? Ooops”

All are more lies but, hey ho, you started this web of deceit 🤷*♂️
Reply 6
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Yes, they can find out…. Perhaps by a slip of the tongue and you tell them. Perhaps by seeing you out driving one day.

No employer likes finding out someone has lied to them… it means you can’t trust them.

You can either do nothing…. Even if you mention at some point they may not connect it with your application and, even if they did you can just say “oh, I recently passed”

Or, you can book a day off work to “take your driving test” and tell them that you passed…. Perhaps after your points have expired if you’re that concerned.

Or, If ever asked, you just say “yes I can drive” and if they mention this disparity you can just say “really, did I tick the wrong box on the application? Ooops”

All are more lies but, hey ho, you started this web of deceit 🤷*♂️

If someone didnt drive but had a full license. And was going to wait until the points were spent, didnt even own a car and barely spoke in public, could they be found out?

Is there any other way apart from the obvious you have named above that could cause that person to be found out?

A bit niche, but I have worked in places where it can backfire - where turnover is pretty high and when they lose drivers they will immediately pressure and essentially press gang the nearest person with a licence into the tasks with loads of extra responsibility but none of the compensations, deffo a time when admitting you have a licence isn't good for you

see also : telling people you have a van
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
A bit niche, but I have worked in places where it can backfire - where turnover is pretty high and when they lose drivers they will immediately pressure and essentially press gang the nearest person with a licence into the tasks with loads of extra responsibility but none of the compensations, deffo a time when admitting you have a licence isn't good for you

see also : telling people you have a van

So have you ever lied and said you dont have a drivers license in that company you have worked for??
So have you ever lied and said you dont have a drivers license in that company you have worked for??

No, in my example I didn't have mine yet, it was just an example where the smart choice was to lie. If the job didn't specifically list driving and you didn't list it on your CV, they don't really have any 'right' to the information.

But with regard to your Q, I don't see any way an employer could go behind your back and find out you have one or would ever feel the need to. It doesn't seem to have any upside for them?
If someone didnt drive but had a full license. And was going to wait until the points were spent, didnt even own a car and barely spoke in public, could they be found out?

Is there any other way apart from the obvious you have named above that could cause that person to be found out?

No, not legally. To check your license is valid they need your consent (and your license number) if they pretend to be you, they still need your license number so, unless they have someone who works fir a government agency who is willing to break the law then, no, there’s no obvious way in which they can find out
Reply 11
Original post by Johnny Valentine
No, not legally. To check your license is valid they need your consent (and your license number) if they pretend to be you, they still need your license number so, unless they have someone who works fir a government agency who is willing to break the law then, no, there’s no obvious way in which they can find out

That's relieving. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending