The Student Room Group

Underachieving in A-levels compared to potential, at 16

So let's go for results day, when I was 14-15 picking a levels, or scottish higher as I had offers to go directly to Highers from Y10 equivalent, I expected perfect grades. And even more enrichment and other stuff.

And I even tried to get perfect grades 2 years early but only got BBC despite throwing hours and hours of effort, even nearly whole days in weekends.
Then I've slacked off and had depression and personal circumstances (went Clearing, uni and then came back, I won't tell which) and slacked off so maybe I'll only get A*AA or even only A*AB which is an underachievement.

Anyone in the same boat? Seems like I did have the potential to get top grades in A-level at 16, as for IAL i only needed to retake some modules in order to get the top grades, but I screwed up my chances enough I may not get it. Especially from Jun to Nov when I was spent with other stuff, like enrichment etc. and uni level mechanics when I SHOULD'VE FOCUSED ON CONSOLIDATING A LEVEL AND PROBLEM SOLVING AND USING THE BOOKS I BOUGHT FOR GOOD USE INSTEAD OF WASTING ALL THE MONEY
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
So - what are you going to do next?
Original post by McGinger
So - what are you going to do next?

I suppose uni after the A-levels. I have offers from both UK and my home country.

Luckily their offers are lower, although I was too conservative when applying so slacked off. At least I maanaged to skip a year, it's what i seriously considered since 12/13 and the 1st time i had the idea - 10.

It's been a lot more difficult than expected but I somehow could perhaps make it through.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest