The Student Room Group

Do Birmingham Med School read personal statements when giving offers?

Cause on Google, it says they use UCAS, GCSEs and contextual points. It then says they don't score points for personal statements. And my cousin is not the best at English but has been scoring excellently in the UCAT mocks, which tests mostly aptitude.

Can anyone who currently goes there please confirm whether my cousin's "rubbish" (his words) English writing skills/personal statement would affect his application even if he scores many points? Like, do they even read the personal statement?

Reply 1
Original post by icedpie
Cause on Google, it says they use UCAS, GCSEs and contextual points. It then says they don't score points for personal statements. And my cousin is not the best at English but has been scoring excellently in the UCAT mocks, which tests mostly aptitude.

Can anyone who currently goes there please confirm whether my cousin's "rubbish" (his words) English writing skills/personal statement would affect his application even if he scores many points? Like, do they even read the personal statement?

What does his (or your) research tell him?
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/selection-for-interview.aspx
Reply 2

Thank you for the link !
Does that imply that if his statement is poorly written, they will turn him down so he wouldn't even be considered? Even though if he was considered, he would score very well (cause he's getting like 2850 on the UCAT)?
Reply 3
Original post by icedpie
Thank you for the link !
Does that imply that if his statement is poorly written, they will turn him down so he wouldn't even be considered? Even though if he was considered, he would score very well (cause he's getting like 2850 on the UCAT)?

It tells you if his PS does not offer "evidence of commitment to medicine" he may be rejected. I imagine they want reasonable spelling, grammar and punctuation, but are not marking it for literary excellence.
I previous years, people have been rejected from Birmingham despite being over their apparent cut off, so I can only assume it was because their PS was not up to scratch
Reply 4
Original post by GANFYD
It tells you if his PS does not offer "evidence of commitment to medicine" he may be rejected. I imagine they want reasonable spelling, grammar and punctuation, but are not marking it for literary excellence.
I previous years, people have been rejected from Birmingham despite being over their apparent cut off, so I can only assume it was because their PS was not up to scratch

Hi GANDYD, thanks for the reply again. So it does not contribute any points, but a very poor personal statement that does not relate to medicine will be rejected. But an ok personal statement vs an amazing one won’t make any difference whatsoever to points?

Am i right in saying that ^ ?
Reply 5
Original post by icedpie
Hi GANDYD, thanks for the reply again. So it does not contribute any points, but a very poor personal statement that does not relate to medicine will be rejected. But an ok personal statement vs an amazing one won’t make any difference whatsoever to points?

Am i right in saying that ^ ?

If it shows the evidence they want and is adequately written, then yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending