The Student Room Group

Year 11 advice?!

Hey, I'm starting Year 11 in September and I was just wondering if you guys have any general advice for how much revision I should be doing, college/sixth form applications, pre exam prep stuff like that. Any advice would be great, Thank youuu!!!
Original post by evsurfer
Hey, I'm starting Year 11 in September and I was just wondering if you guys have any general advice for how much revision I should be doing, college/sixth form applications, pre exam prep stuff like that. Any advice would be great, Thank youuu!!!

I would really make sure that you have made revision resources for all the content you have covered so far so then you don't have to make them closer to exams. I wouldn't worry about doing that much revision, but a small amount would probably be helpful. Do you know what you want to after you've finished year 11?
Apply to Sixthform/ colleges as soon as applications are open. it's less stressful that way
Reply 3

I'd say make a revision timetable in September and if you find you aren't able to keep up with it then reduce the hours, I personally did 2 hours on school nights and a few more at the weekend. I really loved flashcards and I used anki which was probably the single most useful thing I did. I left the past papers until April and onwards when I'd revised all the content and if I could I would mark them myself but for subjects such as history I just asked my teacher to mark them
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I would really make sure that you have made revision resources for all the content you have covered so far so then you don't have to make them closer to exams. I wouldn't worry about doing that much revision, but a small amount would probably be helpful. Do you know what you want to after you've finished year 11?

Thank you so much!! After year 11 I think i’d like to go to a sixth form at a different school as my current school doesn’t have a sixth form. I was thinking about taking either biology, chemistry, english lit and business/econ but I haven’t fully decided yet.
Thank you so much!! After year 11 I think i’d like to go to a sixth form at a different school as my current school doesn’t have a sixth form. I was thinking about taking either biology, chemistry, english lit and business/econ but I haven’t fully decided yet.

I know someone said apply to sixth form as soon as possible, but I wouldn't do that because you will probably change your mind and you should be able to get the options you want as long as you apply before the deadline.

Two words:
Past papers

I think this may be one of the most valuable pieces of advice along with others.
If you use past papers, then you'd pretty much know the layout of questions that may come in yours. As well as that, the same questions may come up, just in different wording. You never know.
It did me well for my compulsory subjects but it's where I went wrong for my 3 chosen subjects. But hey, it's in the past and for me, those 3 subjects weren't of any value to my future.
I think everyone else has given most advice. My main point is past papers.
Original post by yogo1o
I'd say make a revision timetable in September and if you find you aren't able to keep up with it then reduce the hours, I personally did 2 hours on school nights and a few more at the weekend. I really loved flashcards and I used anki which was probably the single most useful thing I did. I left the past papers until April and onwards when I'd revised all the content and if I could I would mark them myself but for subjects such as history I just asked my teacher to mark them

How do you make sure you don’t forget any of the content ??
Reply 8
Original post by direcherub
How do you make sure you don’t forget any of the content ??

sorry for the late reply - I found flashcards the key for this, especially anki as it essentially functions to show you the flashcards you forget and not show you the ones you always get right as often. In truth, I did forget stuff but it's a lot easier to remember it again if you already understand the theory behind it, so it's just a case of reremebering rather than relearning. Also I reviewed all my flashcards for the content that would be on each paper the day before and I spend free time in between exams (you'll have more time than you think) doing past papers and making note of what I got wrong so I could review it consistently in the week or so before the exam
start your revision early so you don't cram (coming from a person that didn't) its way less stressful, you have more time.

Don't revise from September. What I think you should do is try and learn from the back of the specification or ur revision guide especially for science because the teachers always rush by the last few topics and they are the hardest e.g electromagnets in physics I found really hard and the end topics in chemistry. Once you've learnt all the content start ur revision bit by bit. Try making good habits. For me I found whenever I went on my laptop I would get so distracted do what suits you and what you've already been doing all year round.

Keep your same revision methods if it has worked for you and if it hasn't then maybe switch them up a bit. Also don't worry u won't forget but make sure u keep actively recalling what u have revised using different techniques e.g past papers, flashcard questions, quizlet has good ones, videos (freesciencelessons for science was a lifesaver), etc

I do bio, chem, psychology a levels. Chemistry is basically the same as gcse if you love it at gcse then you will be fine it is just a bit harder and more detailed there isn't much content and once you have learned it all you need is practice. Biology is way more detailed than gcse there is so much content everything is in such fine detail and you have to know it all, depends on the exam board (but so far I get higher grades in bio weird?). Psychology is way different than what I expected I thought it would be more interesting which it is but yeah. It is a lot of content and memory but the content itself is easy just remembering is hard because you've got to remember A01, A02 and A03. (I've just finished AS level idk abt y13 but up to now its good)

good luckkk<333
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by yogo1o
sorry for the late reply - I found flashcards the key for this, especially anki as it essentially functions to show you the flashcards you forget and not show you the ones you always get right as often. In truth, I did forget stuff but it's a lot easier to remember it again if you already understand the theory behind it, so it's just a case of reremebering rather than relearning. Also I reviewed all my flashcards for the content that would be on each paper the day before and I spend free time in between exams (you'll have more time than you think) doing past papers and making note of what I got wrong so I could review it consistently in the week or so before the exam

No worries, thanks sm

Quick Reply

Latest