The Student Room Group

Advice for paramedic science

Applying for university

Hi, not sure if this is the right place or how to go about this.

I’ll start off by giving some background information in hopes that’ll help paint a better picture.

I’ve been to both college and university before when I was 19 (currently 23)
For media production, I got into uni without having anything above a D in my core GCSEs but as this was for media it wasn’t particularly looked into anyway, since the age of 19 I’ve really wanted to become a paramedic and have since applied to university twice before for paramedic science but have been declined both times for lack of grades.

I’ve also studied level 2 public services in college so have a decent understanding ok the importance of the emergency services.

I’ve done a lot of volunteer work in end of life homes and managed a large group of lifeguards (35 at one point) so have a little experience with first aid/first responder.

The only way I can think of making my dream job work is by going through a different door and hoping that’ll give me the tools necessary to get achieve this.

I’ve officially enrolled in an “access to higher education” course run by “distance learning centre” and just have some questions.

Previously I’ve applied for a place for paramedic science at university of Hertfordshire but got declined but understand they allow access to higher education qualifications.

Now my main question is, if I get this qualification will I still be turned away as I don’t have any grade Cs in my cores subjects?

Thank you for reading this all I appreciate every single bit of advice!!
Reply 1
In order to meet the HCPC requirements (governing body for paramedics) once you qualify as a paramedic you require a minimum of grade C in both English and Math, these can be GCSE equivalent through the Access course or Functional Skills level 2, and both are suitable for them HOWEVER, whether the university you apply for is happy with them is a different story.

Most universities are looking for science prerequisites such as biology and psychology (which is what I did on the access to healthcare course) but again this also is dependent on the school's individual requirements. However, Grade C in both English and Maths are mandatory for acceptance and universal across all universities due to the HCPC guidelines for registration.

Also (encase you don't already) in order to meet the entry requirements for paramedics you need to have a full UK driving license.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending