The Student Room Group

Advice for paramedic science

Applying for university

Hi, not sure if this is the right place or how to go about this.

I’ll start off by giving some background information in hopes that’ll help paint a better picture.

I’ve been to both college and university before when I was 19 (currently 23)
For media production, I got into uni without having anything above a D in my core GCSEs but as this was for media it wasn’t particularly looked into anyway, since the age of 19 I’ve really wanted to become a paramedic and have since applied to university twice before for paramedic science but have been declined both times for lack of grades.

I’ve also studied level 2 public services in college so have a decent understanding ok the importance of the emergency services.

I’ve done a lot of volunteer work in end of life homes and managed a large group of lifeguards (35 at one point) so have a little experience with first aid/first responder.

The only way I can think of making my dream job work is by going through a different door and hoping that’ll give me the tools necessary to get achieve this.

I’ve officially enrolled in an “access to higher education” course run by “distance learning centre” and just have some questions.

Previously I’ve applied for a place for paramedic science at university of Hertfordshire but got declined but understand they allow access to higher education qualifications.

Now my main question is, if I get this qualification will I still be turned away as I don’t have any grade Cs in my cores subjects?

Thank you for reading this all I appreciate every single bit of advice!!
Reply 1
I would suggest contacting the admissions team and asking if they accept your qualifications for their entry requirements, potentially consider several other unis as well or even consider the paramedic apprenticeship route.
Original post by Bradley__72
Applying for university

Hi, not sure if this is the right place or how to go about this.

I’ll start off by giving some background information in hopes that’ll help paint a better picture.

I’ve been to both college and university before when I was 19 (currently 23)
For media production, I got into uni without having anything above a D in my core GCSEs but as this was for media it wasn’t particularly looked into anyway, since the age of 19 I’ve really wanted to become a paramedic and have since applied to university twice before for paramedic science but have been declined both times for lack of grades.

I’ve also studied level 2 public services in college so have a decent understanding ok the importance of the emergency services.

I’ve done a lot of volunteer work in end of life homes and managed a large group of lifeguards (35 at one point) so have a little experience with first aid/first responder.

The only way I can think of making my dream job work is by going through a different door and hoping that’ll give me the tools necessary to get achieve this.

I’ve officially enrolled in an “access to higher education” course run by “distance learning centre” and just have some questions.

Previously I’ve applied for a place for paramedic science at university of Hertfordshire but got declined but understand they allow access to higher education qualifications.

Now my main question is, if I get this qualification will I still be turned away as I don’t have any grade Cs in my cores subjects?

Thank you for reading this all I appreciate every single bit of advice!!

You could retake the required GCSEs alongside your access course to bring them up to the entry standard.

Quick Reply

Latest