The Student Room Group

A-level Mathematics Advice

Hi I’m in year 12, going into year 13 and wondering if anyone has advice on how to learn maths concepts well and how to revise properly. My maths lessons don’t help me enough and I feel overwhelmed by the amount of resources and PQS accessible I almost don’t know where to start.
Reply 1
Original post by lilorain
Hi I’m in year 12, going into year 13 and wondering if anyone has advice on how to learn maths concepts well and how to revise properly. My maths lessons don’t help me enough and I feel overwhelmed by the amount of resources and PQS accessible I almost don’t know where to start.

Work through all the examples in the textbook.

Which board are you studying?

Hi!

I did Maths A-level. Going through the examples and questions in the textbooks helped me since it breaks everything up into topics so I could easily track my progress and what I had done. Another thing I did as I went through the textbook was to rate my understanding of the topic so I knew which areas needed more work. I rated them red, yellow or green and updated them each time I revised them. This helped mean I didn't accidentally miss a topic and made sure I covered the whole course.

If the textbooks don't help, there are lots of resources you can use online, although to avoid becoming overwhelmed I would recommend finding one or two websites/sets of recourses you like and sticking to those!

I hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Work through all the examples in the textbook.

Which board are you studying?

Thank you for the response, I’m studying Edexcel. Sometimes I feel the textbook questions are different from the exam questions and they confuse me, but I will definitely start using the examples !!
What would you use if you didn’t understand the methods from the examples ?
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

I did Maths A-level. Going through the examples and questions in the textbooks helped me since it breaks everything up into topics so I could easily track my progress and what I had done. Another thing I did as I went through the textbook was to rate my understanding of the topic so I knew which areas needed more work. I rated them red, yellow or green and updated them each time I revised them. This helped mean I didn't accidentally miss a topic and made sure I covered the whole course.

If the textbooks don't help, there are lots of resources you can use online, although to avoid becoming overwhelmed I would recommend finding one or two websites/sets of recourses you like and sticking to those!

I hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Hi thank you for the response, this does help !!
Would you suggest any resources that you found really helpful in particular ?
Reply 5
Thank you for the response, I’m studying Edexcel. Sometimes I feel the textbook questions are different from the exam questions and they confuse me, but I will definitely start using the examples !!

https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

Wotk trough the Year one stuff.

How do you use test papers when the teacher returns the after marking?

Hi @lilorain I studied Edexcel too. I found that the textbook often had several examples for each topic in different places, so you could try to find a second example. I also found youtube to be a good resource, sometimes it's useful to have someone explain it to you.

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello, I would say to start revision at the beginning of the school year so that you don't have to revise too much near the end. I also installed this app on my phone.
A helpful revision strategy is to go through the syllabus and rate each topic based on how good you think you are on it. Then revise the topics with the worst ratings and reevaluate.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 8
Hi @lilorain I studied Edexcel too. I found that the textbook often had several examples for each topic in different places, so you could try to find a second example. I also found youtube to be a good resource, sometimes it's useful to have someone explain it to you.

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Okay, thank you for this !!
Reply 9
Hello, I would say to start revision at the beginning of the school year so that you don't have to revise too much near the end. I also installed this app on my phone.
A helpful revision strategy is to go through the syllabus and rate each topic based on how good you think you are on it. Then revise the topics with the worst ratings and reevaluate.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

I’m going to download it now, thank you for the help !! : )

Quick Reply

Latest