The Student Room Group

Backpack or satchel?

What's more common at uni for guys, backpacks or satchels?
Reply 1
Backpacks are pretty much standard, I’ve not seen a single person with a satchel in three years at uni
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Bluemonkey18

Hey there @Bluemonkey18 !

To be honest most lads wear backpacks, but that doesn't mean that's what you have to wear. There is still people who wear satchels, just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. As long as your bag can fit in a laptop, a notebook, a phone and charger and your keys, it really doesn't matter what you wear. Even some lads wear tote bags, it really doesn't matter.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi!

Honestly doesn't matter. Uni is really (in my experience) non-judgemental about stuff like that. Use whatever you like or think will be the best for you. Most people do use backpacks but I've seen a couple people with satchels as well.

If you have any more questions about uni feel free to ask!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi @Bluemonkey18,

It very much depends on what you plan to bring to university. I find a backpack helps me as I like to bring a hoodie and my laptop as well as my chargers so it is easier for me to carry on my back. Remember to keep practicality and comfort in mind. Like @HWU StudentRep 3 said, most university students are not judgemental about those things. As long as you can fit whatever you need in the day and you are comfortable wearing it, a backpack or satchel is up to you! You can always try out both to see which one you prefer. One last thing, if you are going to a UK university, you are probably going to want to make sure water cant get inside your bag as it tends to rain quite a bit here!

I hope this helps.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hiya,
I've seen guys with backpacks, satchels and tote bags. I'd say that backpacks are probably most common but no one is looking. From personal experience, backpacks are the best way to go so that you don't have one shoulder that aches after you've carried everything about for the whole day.

-Beth
(Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hi there @Bluemonkey18,

It's entirely up to you which you take depending on what's most comfortable for you. Maybe give both a try? You'll find at uni people take a mixture of different types of bags. You will need to consider what you need to take in your bag and find the best one to suit you. If you are carrying lots of heavy items a backpack will be easier.

Hope this helps :smile:
Sarah

backpacks imo but no one would question a satchel either, wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable :smile:

Like everybody else has said backpacks are the most common thing, I do satchels occasionally. I find its what you are most comfortable with and what will hold what you intend to bring best. I find backpacks may be better just as they distribute the weight on your back due to the two straps whereas the satchel may pull you down a bit.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending