The Student Room Group

Medify mocks vs actual ucat

heyy, i'm taking my ucat on the 29th of this month. to be fair i've just started preparing.
for those of u who have already given the ucat this year, what differences in difficulty level did u find between the medify mocks and the real exam?
would be very very helpful to me.
thank you!!
Reply 1
took it yesterday, was pretty similar if not basically the same as medify. if i had to say tho maybe vr was slightly harder, ar slightly easier. start revising tho doing timed questions once you’ve got the hang of it. good luck! tell me how it goes.
Reply 2
Original post by 7JK
took it yesterday, was pretty similar if not basically the same as medify. if i had to say tho maybe vr was slightly harder, ar slightly easier. start revising tho doing timed questions once you’ve got the hang of it. good luck! tell me how it goes.

thank you so much!! i'm losing all my marks in the AR section as its very difficult for me to understand the pattern within the time frame, yet I have around 26 days left so I hope i'll improve with practice. my main concerns are just QR and AR since they are dragging my scores down overall.
was the length of VR similar to medify mocks?
and, thank you so much!! will let u know how it goes.
Reply 3
no problem! i’d say it’s pretty much the same, the passages i got were shorter but loads of complex words and ideas :frown: qr don’t worry about too much, was the same for me even tho i’m good at maths but it’s just gcse maths, just practice with the number pad and getting more comfortable with it and you should be fine, you have plenty of time (ended up being my best and usually is most people’s). ar i found difficult too, it was my second worst. i would try and watch videos of people going through answers bc you can understand their thought process, i watched this guy called emil eddy on yt. other than that you should be fine. also don’t neglect sjt unless you’re confident bc usually people think they’re good at it and neglect it completely, i tried so hard for sjt and luckily got band 1 even tho i was consistently getting band 2/3 in mocks. make sure to skip if you don’t get it within a minute max (for ar i would suggest guessing and skipping bc it may be unlikely to have time to go back). i personally guessed the same answer everytime so i didn’t have to stress thinking about which one to pick. how are you doing on mocks tho? have you done a full test yet or just the subtest mocks? how are you doing with them if you have? don’t worry if you haven’t yet!
Original post by SADIIAK
heyy, i'm taking my ucat on the 29th of this month. to be fair i've just started preparing.
for those of u who have already given the ucat this year, what differences in difficulty level did u find between the medify mocks and the real exam?
thank you!!

Bear in mind there are multiple different versions of the UCAT test every year, so you will probably get different answers depending on which one someone took. Please ask any further UCAT-related questions in this dedicated thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7161733&p=97592820&page=171#post97592820
Reply 5
Original post by bea_murray0
Bear in mind there are multiple different versions of the UCAT test every year, so you will probably get different answers depending on which one someone took. Please ask any further UCAT-related questions in this dedicated thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7161733&p=97592820&page=171#post97592820

yes agreed! although people i believe have said similar to what i’ve said, definitely consider what others have been saying too in the thread.
Reply 6
Original post by bea_murray0

thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by 7JK
no problem! i’d say it’s pretty much the same, the passages i got were shorter but loads of complex words and ideas :frown: qr don’t worry about too much, was the same for me even tho i’m good at maths but it’s just gcse maths, just practice with the number pad and getting more comfortable with it and you should be fine, you have plenty of time (ended up being my best and usually is most people’s). ar i found difficult too, it was my second worst. i would try and watch videos of people going through answers bc you can understand their thought process, i watched this guy called emil eddy on yt. other than that you should be fine. also don’t neglect sjt unless you’re confident bc usually people think they’re good at it and neglect it completely, i tried so hard for sjt and luckily got band 1 even tho i was consistently getting band 2/3 in mocks. make sure to skip if you don’t get it within a minute max (for ar i would suggest guessing and skipping bc it may be unlikely to have time to go back). i personally guessed the same answer everytime so i didn’t have to stress thinking about which one to pick. how are you doing on mocks tho? have you done a full test yet or just the subtest mocks? how are you doing with them if you have? don’t worry if you haven’t yet!

just doing subtest mocks and timed practice as of now.
i took 2 sjt subtests and got a band 2 in the 2nd one but did improve a lot considering the first sjt mock i took i got band 4. im planning to do 2 mocks every week from this week but im kinda bad at qr since i stopped doing any math around 3 years ago so, i need to get back to it–its not that difficult but just the speed.
ah yes i binged on emil eddy's videos for the AR and it gave me an idea of it, i think my issue was trying to solve all the hard ones too and spend a lot of time trying to figure out a pattern, i'll take an AR mock today just to see the difference with/without the skipping the hard ones.
i'm glad QR was your best!
Reply 8
Original post by SADIIAK
just doing subtest mocks and timed practice as of now.
i took 2 sjt subtests and got a band 2 in the 2nd one but did improve a lot considering the first sjt mock i took i got band 4. im planning to do 2 mocks every week from this week but im kinda bad at qr since i stopped doing any math around 3 years ago so, i need to get back to it–its not that difficult but just the speed.
ah yes i binged on emil eddy's videos for the AR and it gave me an idea of it, i think my issue was trying to solve all the hard ones too and spend a lot of time trying to figure out a pattern, i'll take an AR mock today just to see the difference with/without the skipping the hard ones.
i'm glad QR was your best!

that's an amazing improvement!!! if you're getting band 2 already, that's a great start, just keep with it. i would definitely say read gmc guidelines too, they help and watch medicmind's vid if you'd like on it, i definitely recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsRkOPqkmWI (they have others too). yeah the speed is really the hard part, i would say with qr maybe try with untimed and getting faster, often there are shortcuts you don't notice bc you're too busy trying to answer the question. sounds like you're on the right track, maybe try doing one mock soon even if it doesn't go well at all (i remember my first one was horrific) to kind of get an idea of how the full test would be! emil eddy's vids are great and when i was watching them i would get so envious that he could think so fast - but he's also had like two years of practice lol.
Reply 9
Original post by 7JK
that's an amazing improvement!!! if you're getting band 2 already, that's a great start, just keep with it. i would definitely say read gmc guidelines too, they help and watch medicmind's vid if you'd like on it, i definitely recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsRkOPqkmWI (they have others too). yeah the speed is really the hard part, i would say with qr maybe try with untimed and getting faster, often there are shortcuts you don't notice bc you're too busy trying to answer the question. sounds like you're on the right track, maybe try doing one mock soon even if it doesn't go well at all (i remember my first one was horrific) to kind of get an idea of how the full test would be! emil eddy's vids are great and when i was watching them i would get so envious that he could think so fast - but he's also had like two years of practice lol.

thank you!! i will give it a watch. i do like medicmind's videos it has help me tbh.
ar kinda got better after emil eddy's videos lol, but qr still remains to be an issue for me. either ways, i think i still have enough time since 24 days sounds pretty okay to understand and solve gcse level math, since usually, all the questions are of the same theme (sdt, averages, % etc..)
i took a subtest mock for VR and AR today because i didnt think i was ready enough to face the official mock considering how bad my QR is (300-500), i think i improved, small progress but still- went from 450 on VR to 650, and from 300-400 AR to 550, in around 3-4 days so def hoping by 29th i can improve much more.
also yes?? i was like damn, i want this brain on rent for the exam lmao.
Reply 10
hi, i completely forgot to reply but how did it go???
Reply 11
Original post by 7JK
hi, i completely forgot to reply but how did it go???

hey!, no worries. how are you?
it didnt go well tbh. :frown:
Reply 12
hi sorry to hear that :frown: it’s okay i didn’t do very well either. i’m alright tho, a little bit stressed bc application deadline is soon and i’m still figuring out what to apply for (pharmacy or med). how about you?
Original post by SADIIAK
thank you!!

i know this is late but i just did my ucat today i got better scores in the rea thing than medifys VR,DM,QR and AR but for SJT i got band 2 but in the real thing i got band 4 so idk apparently it’s not accurate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending