The Student Room Group

Could my bf live with me in student accommodation?

So my bf is in a situation where he has nowhere to live and this is practically his only option. I’m going to Nottingham for uni in September and I was wondering if it would be possible for him to live with me at my student accommodation. I would of course notify my flatmates to make sure they were ok with it and he also said he’d help me pay for rent and support me with paying for groceries and stuff. I don’t know how strict they are there about this kinda stuff and what the consequences would be if someone did eventually find out about him living with me so I don’t know it’s worth the risk. I’m going to be living in Norton court if that helps, maybe someone that has lived there before or been through a similar situation can give me some insight into their experince? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by 12345sixseven
So my bf is in a situation where he has nowhere to live and this is practically his only option. I’m going to Nottingham for uni in September and I was wondering if it would be possible for him to live with me at my student accommodation. I would of course notify my flatmates to make sure they were ok with it and he also said he’d help me pay for rent and support me with paying for groceries and stuff. I don’t know how strict they are there about this kinda stuff and what the consequences would be if someone did eventually find out about him living with me so I don’t know it’s worth the risk. I’m going to be living in Norton court if that helps, maybe someone that has lived there before or been through a similar situation can give me some insight into their experince? Thanks

If it is official student accommodation, then no he wont be able to stay. Each resident must be an actual student of the institution. You would be in violation of your accommodation so you could be evicted if caught.

Sorry,

Greg

It depends on the university, for example, we offer options for families and couples but I doubt he would be allowed in a single occupancy room if that's what you've selected. Usually, there's rules on how often you're allowed guests and the length of time they're allowed to stay so it's best to check with the accommodation office for clarification.

Hi there,
I would definitely suggest speaking with your accommodation team and see what they permit. If you do allow somebody else to live in your accommodation with you without notifying them, this would be considered as subletting and/or a breach of your tenancy agreement. Some accommodations may allow dual occupancy but for example, at Student Roost, both residents must be students.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending