The Student Room Group

Just a random thought

Hi guys!
So,I have a random question.People always tell me that,work as much as hard as you can today,and enjoy later.My question is,"later" when? "later " with whom?What is the guarantee that I'll have people whom I love and cherish now with the same attitude years later?Can I climb those mountains,or run like a leopard ,later?Can I still enjoy that rollercoaster rides later?Will there be the same enjoyment of a sleepover with friends "later?"

Now ,I am not saying that we should live in the present only and try to enjoy everything everytime.We gotta work hard.Everyday.There's no one denying that.But I do have a problem with people who keep repeating the word "Enjoy...LATER."
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Anlasan
Hi guys!
So,I have a random question.People always tell me that,work as much as hard as you can today,and enjoy later.My question is,"later" when? "later " with whom?What is the guarantee that I'll have people whom I love and cherish now with the same attitude years later?Can I climb those mountains,or run like a leopard ,later?Can I still enjoy that rollercoaster rides later?Will there be the same enjoyment of a sleepover with friends "later?"

Now ,I am not saying that we should live in the present only and try to enjoy everything everytime.We gotta work hard.Everyday.There's no one denying that.But I do have a problem with people who keep repeating the word "Enjoy...LATER."

The answer will very much depend on the context e.g. working out now won't give you immediate results, but you should feel different in a week; study hard now so you can get into medical school later; save up more money now for a housing deposit and you may end up with slightly lower mortgage payments. This all assumes you are using the right strategies or use effective and efficient stratgeies.

On the other hand, I am not saying that you should expend exponential amount of effort for something where there is a tiny minute chance of happening e.g. becoming a pop star, train to become a footballer, work 100 hour weeks in low paying jobs so you can afford the oversized mansion that you don't need. The only times you should look into this is if you have back up plans, and there are no other alternatives to getting the goal and you really want it.

I agree with you though; if you want to cherish certain relationships, you should cherish them now as oppose to wait years later. Cherishing relationships doesn't take a lot of time and shouldn't require you to move mountains. Also, you only live life once (unless you go by a different belief), so you want to life accordingly - once the boat has sailed, there is little that can be done to get back on it.
Having said that, it doesn't mean you should not work hard to get where you want to go or do what you need to do. In other words, it's a bit of give and take, and you need to know when to work hard to play - I can't tell you that, but a mentor who has achieved similar results to what you want might be able to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending