The Student Room Group

Year 11 November/December Mocks

Im in year 11 and i have mocks in november/december. In assembly we were stressed on the important of these mocks as apparently the predicted grades we get in these mocks would be the ones we use to apply for our schools sixth forms with the subject we want to study and get conditional offers. I wanted to know if this was true and would this mean I need to ger grade 7 in physics and maths at least as my predicted grades if I wanted to study these subjects at sixth form in my school? Or do you use February mocks to apply for sixth forms and is the head of KS4 just lying to get us to revise
Reply 1
Original post by Elliot123456
Im in year 11 and i have mocks in november/december. In assembly we were stressed on the important of these mocks as apparently the predicted grades we get in these mocks would be the ones we use to apply for our schools sixth forms with the subject we want to study and get conditional offers. I wanted to know if this was true and would this mean I need to ger grade 7 in physics and maths at least as my predicted grades if I wanted to study these subjects at sixth form in my school? Or do you use February mocks to apply for sixth forms and is the head of KS4 just lying to get us to revise

Each school has its own policy for predictions
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Each school has its own policy for predictions

So some might look at my first set of mocks whilst some might look at my second? The head of KS4 in our skl said there using our first set of mock predicted grades for the subjects we want to do for conditional offers into my schools sixth form ans that everyone in our school has like reserved places.
Reply 3
So some might look at my first set of mocks whilst some might look at my second? The head of KS4 in our skl said there using our first set of mock predicted grades for the subjects we want to do for conditional offers into my schools sixth form ans that everyone in our school has like reserved places.

If thisis a state school they can't reserve places for you - you have to meet the entry requirements.
Reply 4

They’re not lying to you. You should be revising either way for your GCSEs. Applications for sixth forms will open very very soon and most close around December time and you will be using the most up to date mock predictions.
Reply 5
Original post by subbhy
They’re not lying to you. You should be revising either way for your GCSEs. Applications for sixth forms will open very very soon and most close around December time and you will be using the most up to date mock predictions.

Oh so itll be my mocks in December/November most likely. And is there such such things as reserved places? My school is a grammar school and they say they can reserve places for us as long as we meet the entry requirements for the subjects we want to study but we get priority. Is this true?
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
If thisis a state school they can't reserve places for you - you have to meet the entry requirements.

Yeah they said as long as we meet the entry requirements well get in. Apparently the school reserves approximately 180 for students who were in the schools before external so if we meet the entry requirements well get those places priority to people who are externals
Reply 7
Yeah they said as long as we meet the entry requirements well get in. Apparently the school reserves approximately 180 for students who were in the schools before external so if we meet the entry requirements well get those places priority to people who are externals

They have to publish their admission rules but if some of the year group don't reach the grades they won't be allowed even if that is fewer than 180 students.
Reply 8
Oh so itll be my mocks in December/November most likely. And is there such such things as reserved places? My school is a grammar school and they say they can reserve places for us as long as we meet the entry requirements for the subjects we want to study but we get priority. Is this true?

Some schools say that they don’t prioritise internal students over external but these are usually the more selective ones. For me, my school had entry requirements of 6s/7s and if you met that, there was guaranteed a place for you. My school wanted to retain as many internal students as they could so that’s what they did! I imagine most other non-selective schools would do the same to ensure that their students have a guaranteed place at their school if they don’t get into any others so yes it can be true that your school can reserve places for you if you meet the requirements and want to stay! If you know you definitely don’t want to stay, make sure to tell them so they can offer your potential place to someone who wants to go there!
Reply 9
Original post by subbhy
Some schools say that they don’t prioritise internal students over external but these are usually the more selective ones. For me, my school had entry requirements of 6s/7s and if you met that, there was guaranteed a place for you. My school wanted to retain as many internal students as they could so that’s what they did! I imagine most other non-selective schools would do the same to ensure that their students have a guaranteed place at their school if they don’t get into any others so yes it can be true that your school can reserve places for you if you meet the requirements and want to stay! If you know you definitely don’t want to stay, make sure to tell them so they can offer your potential place to someone who wants to go there!

Are those 6s and 7s at actual gcses or mock predicted grades? And so how does getting a conditional offer work. And yh that makes sense my schools selective so
Reply 10
Are those 6s and 7s at actual gcses or mock predicted grades? And so how does getting a conditional offer work. And yh that makes sense my schools selective so

Yes for actual GCSE results. The head of sixth form at a highly selective sixth form said “mocks aren’t worth the paper they’re written on” when it comes to having an unconditional offer.

Some schools may offer conditional offers. Mine didn’t because the entry requirements weren’t crazy high but some selective schools do offer a conditional offer based off of your most recent mock grades and some other things like the popularity of a course you’ve chosen. If a lot of people are applying to the same course, the conditional offer requirement may be higher

Quick Reply

Latest