The Student Room Group

getting a-levels remarked

i was 2 marks off an A in biology and 3 marks off a B in chemistry! these were the grades i needed to get into my firm and they said if i appealed and met the entry requirements i could still be accepted, however i have already applied for a place somewhere else through clearing, i obviously would've loved to go to my firm but that feels a bit too late now, would it still be worth getting my a-levels remarked just to potentially recieve better grades?
Reply 1
It really depends how much you had your heart set on your firm uni and the course there. If you also like the look of the place you've applied to through clearing then that could be good too. (Which universities/courses are we talking about here, incidentally?)

You could order a priority remark but that will obviously cost you (though it's free if your results improve by a whole grade), and the marks could do down as well as up.

And if they make you an offer through clearing, you'll have a deadline to accept it by. If you're still waiting for your remark results at that point then you will have you make an even more difficult decision.

Maybe just spend a day or so thoroughly researching this clearing place you've applied to, compare it to your firm in terms of what the course structure is like, what amenities the university has, etc etc.
Reply 2
Original post by fedora34
It really depends how much you had your heart set on your firm uni and the course there. If you also like the look of the place you've applied to through clearing then that could be good too. (Which universities/courses are we talking about here, incidentally?)

You could order a priority remark but that will obviously cost you (though it's free if your results improve by a whole grade), and the marks could do down as well as up.

And if they make you an offer through clearing, you'll have a deadline to accept it by. If you're still waiting for your remark results at that point then you will have you make an even more difficult decision.

Maybe just spend a day or so thoroughly researching this clearing place you've applied to, compare it to your firm in terms of what the course structure is like, what amenities the university has, etc etc.

i applied to biochemistry with a placement year at both unis, my firm was bath and i got into cardiff through clearing, i mean going to my firm would've been the most ideal as i had been planning to go there for the longest time! however i don't want to risk losing my place at cardiff as bath isn't guaranteed to work out
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by astrostial
i applied to biochemistry with a placement year at both unis! my firm was bath and i got into cardiff through clearing, i mean going to my firm would've been the most ideal as i had been planning to go there for the longest time! however i don't want to risk losing my place at cardiff as bath isn't guaranteed to work out

Personally I wouldnt bother with a remark. Even if it gets marked upwards Bath may not accept you. Also you might be liable for accommodation fees in Cardiff so you need to check that out.

The purpose of A levels is for you to go to the next level. You have that in Cardiff so there is nothing to be gained. Check with Cardiff whether you can do a 4th year there. They might do a placement as well,
Reply 4
Original post by astrostial
i applied to biochemistry with a placement year at both unis, my firm was bath and i got into cardiff through clearing, i mean going to my firm would've been the most ideal as i had been planning to go there for the longest time! however i don't want to risk losing my place at cardiff as bath isn't guaranteed to work out

I mean some would say you've actually "failed upwards", since Cardiff is an RG university and Bath isn't. I personally don't put much store by that kind of distinction, but I know a few who would.

In any case Cardiff is obviously an excellent university in its own right, and if you like the look of the course and the city then I say go for it.

The other option is to take a gap year and reapply to different universities based on your grades, or maybe even resit your A-Levels if you're desperate to go to Bath. Those are perfectly acceptable options if they fit with what you want.

But there is definitely a strong argument for drawing a line under the grades, recognising that you're still doing a great course at a great university, and moving on to the next stage of your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending