The Student Room Group

Course transfer?

Hello I'm due to be studying at Sheffield Hallam for Psychology for September 2023. It's with a foundation year. I actually took two years out prior and worked full time. I've confirmed the place. HOWEVER after visiting friends at their uni and thinking on it, I've realised I'm too complacent and I've not pushed myself. Sheffield Hallam is my hometown. Unfortunately I've come to this realisation flipping late! So all I can think of to do is cancel my offer and hope and pray through clearing. I want to study psychology and would try and get on a course, but I'm also afraid my application is weak with CDC a levels and two years out? Another consideration is to try and transfer before I even start meaning I don't have to gamble and cancel my confirmed place,but I don't know much about transfers. Feeling like a bit of a donkey and regretting some of my decisions. Guess that's life. Anyway any input would be great!
I should also mention I'm really not keen on doing another year out.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AJaam
Hello I'm due to be studying at Sheffield Hallam for Psychology for September 2023. It's with a foundation year. I actually took two years out prior and worked full time. I've confirmed the place. HOWEVER after visiting friends at their uni and thinking on it, I've realised I'm too complacent and I've not pushed myself. Sheffield Hallam is my hometown. Unfortunately I've come to this realisation flipping late! So all I can think of to do is cancel my offer and hope and pray through clearing. I want to study psychology and would try and get on a course, but I'm also afraid my application is weak with CDC a levels and two years out? Another consideration is to try and transfer before I even start meaning I don't have to gamble and cancel my confirmed place,but I don't know much about transfers. Feeling like a bit of a donkey and regretting some of my decisions. Guess that's life. Anyway any input would be great!
I should also mention I'm really not keen on doing another year out.

Do you meet the entry requirements for the other uni? You can usually get a place through clearing but the uni you could end up at may be worse than SHU so it is really a gamble. I'd recommend going to SHU and trying to transfer after your foundation year. Why is this other university better?
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
Do you meet the entry requirements for the other uni? You can usually get a place through clearing but the uni you could end up at may be worse than SHU so it is really a gamble. I'd recommend going to SHU and trying to transfer after your foundation year. Why is this other university better?

My results are fairly low, so I seem to be locked into a foundation year no matter where I go. I've got a few unis in mind I thought about transferring to, Liverpool Hope, Oxford Brookes. Both for Psychology. About Clearing I'm worried about it being too risky. I just really want to study somewhere else but perhaps I'm too tunnel-vision on that now. Is it ever possible to get a better offer via clearing? Some people have told me it can be beneficial and simple while others say you need an outstanding application to get anything worthwhile. Your advise does seem to be the most straight-forward and logical however. Just don't want to be plagued with thinking what if? Thanks
Original post by AJaam
My results are fairly low, so I seem to be locked into a foundation year no matter where I go. I've got a few unis in mind I thought about transferring to, Liverpool Hope, Oxford Brookes. Both for Psychology. About Clearing I'm worried about it being too risky. I just really want to study somewhere else but perhaps I'm too tunnel-vision on that now. Is it ever possible to get a better offer via clearing? Some people have told me it can be beneficial and simple while others say you need an outstanding application to get anything worthwhile. Your advise does seem to be the most straight-forward and logical however. Just don't want to be plagued with thinking what if? Thanks

Hi @AJaam,

Great to hear you're considering Oxford Brookes University. I have some information which might be of interest. With your A Level results, you should be able to get an offer for Year One Psychology on our 2022 confirmation (Clearing) tariff. In order to do this, you would have to use UCAS Extra, which would involve declining all your current offers, which is something you should only do after serious consideration. I would definitely suggest calling in and having a word with us in Admissions so we can discuss your options. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck!

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
Reply 4
Original post by AJaam

Don't go to SHU if you won't enjoy it. Contact the other universities as you could apply as a late applicant rather than through clearing. Even if you can't maybe they can tell you if there are likely to be spaces available through clearing and what your chances are of getting in. Again no guarantees but if you need to go to uni this year then don't cancel your application, complete your foundation year and see if you can get transferred onto y1 at your preferred uni. I wish you luck.
Reply 5
Original post by OxfordBrookesRep
Hi @AJaam,

Great to hear you're considering Oxford Brookes University. I have some information which might be of interest. With your A Level results, you should be able to get an offer for Year One Psychology on our 2022 confirmation (Clearing) tariff. In order to do this, you would have to use UCAS Extra, which would involve declining all your current offers, which is something you should only do after serious consideration. I would definitely suggest calling in and having a word with us in Admissions so we can discuss your options. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck!

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office

Hello and thanks for the quick response. That's fantastic news!
I'll definitely have a word with the admissions team to discuss. Are the lines open everyday to ring up? Thanks a alot
Original post by AJaam
Hello and thanks for the quick response. That's fantastic news!
I'll definitely have a word with the admissions team to discuss. Are the lines open everyday to ring up? Thanks a alot

Hi @AJaam

My colleague informed me that you gave us a call earlier this week. I'm glad we were able to be of assistance and I hope you're looking into putting in an application!

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Reply 7
Hello Daniel

I have been very impressed with the admissions assistance and outreach of Oxford Brookes. I have now officially applied to Brookes. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending