The Student Room Group

Official: Hull York Medical School A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reubenn05
i calculated your hyms score as 80

Hii what would be my score considering my UCAT score?
2760 B1
For GCSEs top 6 are 5 9s and 1 8, so 29.
band 1 - 15
29+15=44
my a levels are AAA achieved (bio Chem maths) and then in the year after achieved A* for Persian a level
i Don’t have any contextual or stuff like that, this is all there is, would you say it would go above the 77 mark or no?
thank you very much in advance (:
Original post by 2026_helia
Hii what would be my score considering my UCAT score?
2760 B1
For GCSEs top 6 are 5 9s and 1 8, so 29.
band 1 - 15
29+15=44
my a levels are AAA achieved (bio Chem maths) and then in the year after achieved A* for Persian a level
i Don’t have any contextual or stuff like that, this is all there is, would you say it would go above the 77 mark or no?
thank you very much in advance (:

your score based on last year's deciles is 80, but if the deciles increase this year then your score would be 76, so check the interim deciles when they come out
your score based on last year's deciles is 80, but if the deciles increase this year then your score would be 76, so check the interim deciles when they come out

Ok thank you! Do you know when the interim deciles will come out?
Original post by 2026_helia
Ok thank you! Do you know when the interim deciles will come out?

mid september
Reply 24
Original post by DoctorJorts
I think it needs to be made clear early on in this thread that HYMS have never released how exactly they score other than 'up to 40 points for GCSE' type thing, and I'd be very surprised if the scoring was completely linear (eg 4 points per decile), this means you probably can't calculate your own score in any particularly meaningful way, and anyone here who tries is also just guessing. Don't get too hung up on playing the numbers game, or at least be aware that it's kind of a rough guess only.

Before HYMS began to consider they were too important to share information with their applicants, they did confirm they used official deciles, in a linear manner for scoring - I do not know, but see no reason why this would have changed.
They have previously said SJT is not necessarily scored in a linear manner.

Scores that have been worked out in recent years have pretty reliably predicted interview chances, as all those with the same calculated "score" have fallen the same side of the interview cut off line, so whilst I agree HYMS give as little information as they feel they can get away with, the scoring used seems a good proxy, if nothing else.
Reply 25
Hi
GCSE top 6 are 9=30
SJT B1 =15
Ucat 2680 - can you advise how points that translates to school leaver non contextual.
Thanks
Hi

What would my score be with 2780 B1

9 8s and 2 8s

A levels predicted 4A*
And no contextual data.
Original post by VPN69
Hi
GCSE top 6 are 9=30
SJT B1 =15
Ucat 2680 - can you advise how points that translates to school leaver non contextual.
Thanks

77, based on last year's deciles, check the interim deciles when they come out
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by HastyJaguar
Hi

What would my score be with 2780 B1

9 8s and 2 8s

A levels predicted 4A*
And no contextual data.

81, based on last year's deciles, check the interim deciles when they come out
Reply 29
77, based on last year's deciles, check the interim deciles when they come out

Hi thanks for confirming.
Can you advise how you calculated Ucat points for 2680 score.
Also what was 2023 cut off for school leaver non contextual and not from Hull/ York region
Original post by VPN69
Hi thanks for confirming.
Can you advise how you calculated Ucat points for 2680 score.
Also what was 2023 cut off for school leaver non contextual and not from Hull/ York region

i multiplied your decile (your score is in the 8th decile) by 4, so 8 x 4 = 32.
people who live in hull/york region do not have a lower cutoff. the cutoff was 77.
81, based on last year's deciles, check the interim deciles when they come out

Do you reckon it’s worth applying or to look elsewhere (both Leicester and Nottingham) please?
Do you reckon it’s worth applying or to look elsewhere (both Leicester and Nottingham) please?

if your score remains at 81 then it would be worth applying, if it drops to 77 then it may still be ok, but you would have safer options. what are your 8s in, as that matters for leicester. notts looks good.
(edited 7 months ago)
if your score remains at 81 then it would be worth applying, if it drops to 77 then it may still be ok, but you would have safer options. what are your 8s in, as that matters for leicester. notts looks good.

My 8s are in English Language and French
My 8s are in English Language and French

you score 58.5 for leicester, cutoff was 59.5 last year, but due to gcse grade deflation and them scoring 8s and 9s differently the cutoff is likely to come down
you score 58.5 for leicester, cutoff was 59.5 last year, but due to gcse grade deflation and them scoring 8s and 9s differently the cutoff is likely to come down

Ah ok thanks. I guess notts is then a safe uni to apply then I’ve just got to pick one out of Leicester and HYMS as I’ve got two BMAT unis as well.
So for Hull would 9th decile be 40/40 or 36/40 if that’s how it work?
So for Hull would 9th decile be 40/40 or 36/40 if that’s how it work?

36/40
Reply 38
i multiplied your decile (your score is in the 8th decile) by 4, so 8 x 4 = 32.
people who live in hull/york region do not have a lower cutoff. the cutoff was 77.

Can you please advise if it'd worth applying to hyms - gcse Nine 9's and one 8. Ucat 2690, band 2. Live in polar 2 area postcode for contextual
Also how do we know cut off was 77 as uni would refuse to tell me cut off ?
Original post by Mn111
Can you please advise if it'd worth applying to hyms - gcse Nine 9's and one 8. Ucat 2690, band 2. Live in polar 2 area postcode for contextual
Also how do we know cut off was 77 as uni would refuse to tell me cut off ?

i think it would be a bit risky, as you score around 75 points, based on last year's deciles. we know cutoff was likely 77 as people on here got rejected with 76 and got interviews with 77
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending